Sunday, January 4, 2009

First Sunday Ride of the year..

Everyone else is posting blogs about how he or she is so happy she started a month ago, or so glad they didn't get out of shape in the off season.. and I'm not here to do that. In off seasons-past, I ran daily and rode once a week. This year I did diddly squat. The migraines forced me to take two weeks off from all activity, followed by a week back to running (albeit poorly), followed by two weeks off from all activity.. rinse, repeat. For over two months. I'm not 100% better, but I've figured out the migraines. They're being managed. And I'm back to training.

Friday's Sierra repeats with the Rolleses were lonely. I could see I & S on some of the straights, but I was frustrated with my crappy legs and I set a new bike HR max of 190, while going about 3 mph. The difference between starting up after a couple months of easy training and a couple months of nothing is huge. It was the first 3h ride of the season, and I sucked - but I deserved it. 

Today was the first Sunday Boca ride of my season. I bribed my bike into going into the big ring (it didn't want to the past two rides) and rode into town to meet the group. It was small. And fortunately for me, some famous Tour guy named Daniel Thomason or Tom Danielson had kicked everyone's butt yesterday. Making it a small, mellow group. We rode over the Pali and into the rain. I was able to get up Old Pali in the same general vicinity as Ray.. 

The view everyone gets of Ray as we head up the Old Pali Rd tree tunnel.. though the blurry is usually just in my brain.

And then we descended the windward side of the Pali into the pouring rain and whipping wind, which stung like mad. Here's the hairpin, which I was smart enough not to attempt to photograph while riding 40 mph with foggy glasses.

The boys starting the race around Lanikai (which was mellow today.. phew!):

52 miles later, I was home. Just as I was starting to feel the tired in my quads and considering eating something made of gu/gel/sugary crap. It was a water-fueled ride today because I am not ready to ingest all that ick yet. Every minute of it was fun (well, the Pali descent was mostly freaky, but Auloa is always fun) and it reminded me, again, that I don't hate cycling.

Once home, I grabbed my trusty sidekick and headed to Maunawili Elementary. We joined the Ailani Gardens Community Supported Ag group. So each Sunday we'll pick up a week's worth of local organic fruits and veggies grown in Waianae. Today we got Kale (Sky's favorite!), headless broccoli (no heads grown here), green beans, salad greens, mini-kale for salads, starfruit and basil. I took this of my little helper carrying our veggies back to the car: 


I think it looks a little like a paparazzi pic. I need to get her some big sunglasses for next weekend. Or loan her mine. 

Afterwards I met Amy for a coffee at the beach. We had Sky take our pic - turns out she's not so hot on the other side of the camera.. Bet you can't guess which one is me. And yeah, I have other shirts. I swear.

18 comments:

  1. You totally have to post a photo of the headless broccoli! :) Great job on the ride and welcome back - yep it hurts, but great for you! Happy to hear that you did NOT take a picture while descending - not very, er, safe. :) Love the pictures, and quite frankly - the shirts are great. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know he already won the election, right.

    and man, the rest of us are gonna need the month headstart. glad you got the migraines under control and are back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it's great you're still sportin' the obama tee. i was hoping it would last a little longer because the thought of americans wearing tee-shirts with our presidents image, that isn't surrounded by a red circle with a line through, it is just thrilling.

    hey, does the lack of heads on the broccoli make it taste any better??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey-I joined that CSA too. We'll have to recipe swap for some of the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 2009!

    What an awesome place to live and ride in - I thought our views were pretty good but they are nothing compared to that. Thankfully our hills are nothing compared to that too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the ride. It always hurts and I am still waiting for my first one of this season. Sky should be a photographer definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can you not be motivated to ride in paradise? You are one lucky girl. I'd sacrifice the broccoli for those views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it my imagination or do you and Sky have matching capris? Time off = good! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all relative. I can only dream of riding 3hour and 50+ miles. You, however, knock it out after 2 months off. You are hard core! Go RR!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great job on the ride! 3hours is nothing to scoff at - I am currently only doing up to 90min on the trainer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Headless broc? Sounds interesting.

    Thanks for the pics! It is good to know the sun is shining and somewhere on Earth it is warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I SEE LUCKY BRAND SWEATS (again)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You are such the fashion diva and your daughter is lookin' very CUTE too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes I think we get in better shape only after we get out of shape first. Sounds like an amazing weekend! And sooooo cool on the organic food!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As usual, I love the Sky picture! She cracks me up. I just started my training plan too and I am out of shape with you! But yet you can bike like a champ. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Luc and Sky would make a terrific little couple. He holds doors for the pretty girls he says. And he liked her sunglasses.

    He siad they could share his dog.

    Even more reason for us to move.

    :-)

    PS; That Obama guy.... isn't he a president or something? Damn Democrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That produce sounds amazing. If it makes you feel any better, 6+ feet of snow in Spokane will likely keep me off of my bike for at least another 3 months. And it makes running outside pretty dang difficult as well. I fully expect that skiing will make me into a stellar triathlete come spring. Riiiight. Happy headache-free training!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you didn't decide to burn your running shoes and sledge hammer your bike during that tough time RR. Seriously, I think you will find the off season was a good thing for you, I sure feel like it was for me and I am JUST now getting back into it so if it makes you feel any better..awesome. Either way, it's great to have you back and so glad you seem to be doing better. Love the sky pic and the cut off heads.. who needs to see that part anyway! Ha! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so glad the head demons are under control. that is the most important thing you accomplished in 2008!
    now for 2009! i have some questions for you...emailing you very soon..

    ReplyDelete