Monday, March 9, 2009

Easy like monday morning..

I seem to be in a 6:30 rut. I had a good weekend of training - 15 miles Friday, four hours of ride/transition run on Saturday, and a 10k road race Sunday morning. Our usual 10k course here is kind of rough. You go up Diamond Head at in the second kilometer, run a lap around Kahala, and then up the backside of Diamond Head for kilometers 8-9. I ran the first half comfortably, planning to hit 5k in 20 min and then pick it up. A man yelling splits said 20-flat as I passed and told me I was in 10th place. Just where I wanted to be.. it was time to run 19:45 or so for the back half. But something happened on the hills back up. I didn't run out of legs.. I ran out of lungs. I think the one track workout of the year was just not quite enough! With 100m to go, someone yelled If you beat the guy next to you you're top ten! Which was just the motivation the man next to me needed to drop me. I finished 11th - but 1st girl, in 40:30 (ick.)

Henry is doing a research project on Indonesia for third grade social studies. Last night we had dinner at Heather and Steve's house, and I reminded Henry that Steve is from Indonesia and maybe he should ask him some questions. Henry said that was OK, he was doing research at the library. Steve asked how that was going.. and Henry replied: Pretty good. Last trip, I almost found the I's.

There are good changes happening at work.. a little reorganization that will make my life both happier and a little less foul-smelling. It's 6:30 am and I've got 6 recovery miles in the bank already, plans to swim this evening, Sky chattering my left ear off and demonstrating how to kiss a pillow (she is 5! WTH?) and work is going to be good.. happy monday.


8 comments:

  1. That might be the worst song every recorded, and now it's in my head for the rest of the day, you stinker :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your morning abilities. Of course, if it wasn't snowing and sub-freezing then I too would be up at the crack of dawn. Teach me your morningness oh morning lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the 10k and Henry makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Henry is hillarious. Good run Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the run! I just cracked up at Henry's comment, my fiance is now looking at me funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For crying out loud that is funny! FUNNY stuff.... I don't want to rush my days with lil' kainoa but I can hardly wait for some of those things kids say to come pouring out...!!

    HOPE all week goes GREAT, and if you are bored Saturday we have a 10k here, it has a hill too, but you can try again to bust that 40 and score top 10... come over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on the run!

    Your kids are so funny! At least he made it to the library...

    ReplyDelete