Sunday, March 15, 2009

Group ride.

Yesterday looked like this.

Day one of the big weekend involved a impromptu trainer ride with intervals that got progressively shorter, until I finally decided just to sit on the couch and eat my lara bars, because it was cozier. Swimming at Ala Moana during floods is like asking for an infectuous disease.. so I had to can it.

This morning called for a 3.5h ride followed by a 1.5h run, which sounded suspiciously like Ironman training, but I try not to question the man. It was a little wet out when I got on my bike at 6 am, but the flash flood warnings were over. As I rolled down the hill Katherine texted that she was not coming because of the weather. Which left me on my own. 

So I rode over to Boca to catch the group ride, to meet all my super-motivated, fast Boca friends who love to ride. When I turned down Cooke I could almost hear the song from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly as tumble-trash-bags blew down the deserted street. Not a soul in sight. I had 3 x 20 min of time trialing to do, so I headed up the Pali for the first one. So here it is: this is the Boca ride in Nuuanu this morning. It was a quiet group.

And here we all are, having a little rest break at a lookout on Tantalus. I attempted to TT up aero, but had to come out for some of the switchbacks. I would have stopped higher up for a picture, but it seemed there were drug deals going on at each lookout. I didn't want to get shivved, so I took this lonely pic of my giant head half way back down.

Out in Hawaii Kai, we all stopped for a snack after the third TT effort. Note the terrible weather. Ahem, Katherine.

I got off the bike for the 1:30 run a little worried. It's been a long time since I've attempted a proper brick, and the run is often sucky. But today I had legs. After 40' of clicking off 7:15 miles, I had 5 x 6' of cruise intervals to attempt. Solo me + intervals usually = quitting early, crazy justifications, etc.. but I got them all.  I hadn't really nailed a long workout in a long time.. and I forgot how fun it could be.

And it wasn't entirely lonely. I caught Pretty Billy going up the Pali, ran into DJ on Tantalus, saw Jack and Justin after they were nearly decapitated by a cooler lid on Kal Hwy, and ran into the long-MIA Joe Zwack in between intervals near the old folks home. 

Now, as previously mentioned.. the great sunglasses debate. They're Oakley Liv. Sounds like a girly name to me.. but like I said, they do kind of make him look like Elvis. Who gets to keep them?


21 comments:

  1. I swear those don't even look like the same glasses on you two! I'm gonna say you keep them though... ;)

    Anyway - great training!! Great to hear your brick turned out so well today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth's right... they look different. I had to keep going between the pictures to "prove" they were the same.

    I'm a youngin and I know my fashion (harhar) so YOU get them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did the same thing ... back/forth/back/forth ... and i actually say, ramsey gets 'em. they just kind of work.

    and my nice justification: eeeeverything looks good on you, so throw the man a bone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say you keep the glasses even though they do remind me of JT on him.

    Great job with getting the workout in, my day was consumed with too much tv watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could share them! They look different but good on both of you. Or you could both get a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see some sort of dual custody in your future. Some say that the week day/ weekend thing works well. However, that may just lead to confusion since the poor glasses will get to do all the fun stuff with just one of you. So I vote for the every other week arrangement.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote goes to Ramsey, his face is bigger so they kind of look good, your face is smaller and they swallow your face whole, they remind me of the kind of glasses girls wear when their hubby gives em' a black eye and they need to hide the shiner.

    SO glad your weather cleared up, that is one heck of a workout!! So wish I had your company on my days like that... can you ask Raul if we can do a mini HI girls camp and team up?? Forget the Maui trip, the weather is UGLY there, after that Canada trip no way can I deal with that freezing, I know, I am a WIMP! BUT I missed all my workouts this weekend with dehydration... the price for severe sunshine... today actually had wind and 18 clouds though! Your storm is on it's way to Kona...

    Hope ALL week you tackle GOOD training!! ALMOST show time for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good training day..love the pics! The glasses look better on you :)
    -marn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an idea... why don't you send them to me? I'm pretty sure I'll look great in them! LOL! I was laughing out loud of the pictures of your group ride - hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote you on the glasses, but that's only because of your adorable bangs. Glasses like that require such things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So impressed that you stuck with it today and got the work done...you had every excuse to stop and you pushed forward...great job...snowing here in Seattle so no option for riding outside (at least with the bikes I own:)). The glasses look great on you. You deserve them! :)
    tn

    ReplyDelete
  12. i dont think he wants to be the kind of guy that wears those glasses

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am with Kelly on this one. Do not let R leave the house with them on. They suit you so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You def. get the glasses! Nice work on the TT and run... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That first pic is the only one of HI that I've ever seen with poor weather. EVER.
    Good on ya for getting out and changing the weather to nice.
    Gods shine on the Goddesses who believe.

    Those are glasses? I thought they were UV shields for HI weather.
    Oh, same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nailed it.. always feels good. Way to go my friend. I like the pics of "all of us" where all of us didn't really exsist. We are back to the days of imaginary friends! I love it! Hummm..glasses debate.. I have to say Elvis..who doesn't like to see a little return of Elvis on the street. I like them on you too though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely you!

    That post about your workout had me rolling...tumbleweeds indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. If Ramsey is planning on becoming gay, I think he should keep the glasses, for sure. Does he like cats?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done on going out, I am sure I would have been tucked up in bed!

    I am voting for joint custody!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ramsey looks good in the glasses but they are made for you!
    Way to go on the workout . . and no mention of anything except lara bars!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look soooo pretty in your shades and long hair sista.

    ReplyDelete