Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rocks rocks and more rocks.

Last night I picked two rocks out of the gaping mouth-like cut on the ball of my foot. During Tuesday morning's ocean workout there were some hard sprints on just a little rest, and being the good environmentalist that I am, I stood up on the reef in between one set to catch my breath. And took a chunk home with me. Other highlights of the workout included slamming into Stefan when he stopped to look at a turtle during a hard effort in which he had just instructed me to draft off the fastest person I could find. Which is always him. He must have meant the fastest person who doesn't stop for turtles.. which he has a tendency to do during the North Shore Swim Series races as well.

I wore my wetsuit. Not only does it make me feel like catwoman in a girdle, it makes me about twice as fast as I am without it. My sinky runner-legs are all floaty and my total inability to kick no longer matters. My fatigue from 7 miles of intervals on the road during the hour prior to the swim workout chasing Todd and Courtenay didn't even matter, because all I have to do point myself in the right direction and the wetsuit floats me there. I love my wetsuit. When I first got it, back in 2007, I had a hard time taking it off, so I just didn't.

I would wear it to work if I could. I'm up to my eyeballs in rocks and dirt at work. I'm writing the geology chapters for seven volumes of the Guam EIS, with weekly submission deadlines that are next to impossible and warrant 60 hours a week. Want to know about rocks on Guam? I'm your girl. You can find me procrastinating at Jamba eating oatmeal or at Starbucks chatting with my green-aproned friends, approximately six times a day. I'm the girl wearing my office-blanket and not putting weight on my right foot..

22 comments:

  1. How are you not sweating to DEATH in that thing? I mean, you're totally working it, but it seems a bit sticky for Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rocks on Guam...hhhmmmm - you know, I have absolutely nothing to say about that. WOW - that's a great wetsuit! And for the record, I TOTALLY would stop for turtles. I love those guys! Here's to wetsuit-legal swims (and stopping for turtles, both in and out of the water), right! :) Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cool photos. Do you have a handbag on in the second one? :))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice melons. I mean, we don't see melons as big as yours around here. I mean, your melons just look so firm and juicy. You know what, I am going to quit now. Your husband is probably going to hunt me down and break my knee caps. I want a business suit like that and I want to have to stop for sea turtles during my "commute." Guam has rocks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel as though wearing a wetsuit out and aboot in Hawaii would be rather hot & bothersome. Is that one of your sneaky weight loss routines - 1000calories of M&M's & a wetsuit?

    Freak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, you just took this to a new level. I wear mine around, but I put a sweatshirt and uggs on, only because it is so cold. But never too a bar! Love it! Keep up the humor...or really...just keep being you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, my brother is a geologist (well, finishing up his phd in geology). He probably does find whatever you are writing about very interesting.

    Way to pull off the wetsuit in the super market. You can't do things like that here in Jersey...maybe I could if I was on the shore in the summer, but not where I live. Only you Hawaii girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the hurt foot...that sounds ouchy!

    Love the idea of wearing a wetsuit to the grocery store...pretty sure that would be a first in SF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you live in Hawaii. I always get the strangest looks when I wear my wetsuit to the grocery store in New Hampshire ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are Catwoman. I like to pretend I'm Batman ... was thinking about wearing a cape around prior to a swim start. Would that be wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost died when I saw the wetsuit pic of you at the bar - hilarious!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You in your wetsuit is really funny.
    Not funny is your foot owey. Damn it anyway.
    Your purse does not go with that wetsuit. Come on, work with me here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rocks in Guam sounds very interesting, I went through a rock collecting stint a few years ago, I was really into collecting the local Flower Stone, unique to Vancouver Isand. Any interesting rocks in Guam? Nice, shiny hair, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel...you bring your notes on the Geology of Guam to the Timex camp..since I'm a nerdy Geologist, I'd love to talk rocks!! See ya in a week!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. YOu are too funny! What a way to burn calories after a workout..just keep sweating them out in a wetsuit! :)
    I love it!
    -marn
    *Hope you are enjoying the new trek..karel will be happy to see you riding it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to promote Blue Seventy! I'm sure they are very proud to see you sporting your suit everywhere! That's Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's freakin' awesome! I'd totally stop for a turtle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is that MY wetsuit? I can't wait! (somehow I don't think I'll look as good in it)
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  19. ha, ha... When you said you never took it off I thought, yip, I feel like that too, but then I saw the pictures and had to burst out laughing. That is brilliant, I never took things to quite that level.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Groan...I can't believe you wore it to a BAR!! I'm always wanting to get mine OFF, so that must be one comfy suit.

    Sorry 'bout the rocks...ugh.

    ReplyDelete