Saturday, November 1, 2008

Next up: 2009.

There have been a few ideas, and some suggestions from trusted sources, but try as I may, absolutely nada has been decided about 2009's race plan. Instead of yammering on about my kids, or my hair, or gay fortune cookies.. I'll tell you what I do know about the off season and next year.

1. I will continue to race as an amateur.

I get a little crap for this from friends. It's not sandbagging, it's life. I was just the 4th amateur at Kona, so it's not like I'm at all lacking competition. There are lots of amateur women out there who kick my butt. I will continue to prioritize the fam and my job (new one starts monday!) and I will continue to be limited by the expense of travel from my place in the middle of the sea. I am so totally an age-grouper!

2. I haven't signed up for a single race next year.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't considering Hawaii 70.3. It's close, it's fun.. and there are Kona slots, should I change my mind by June. I won't freeze my brain at Oceanside again. I would like to run Boston again, but I'd have to win the lotto to afford the trip. And there's no lotto here. I would like to race Alcatraz someday, and would like to go back to Chicago. But I don't want any of them enough to actually sign up. I missed nearly all the local races this year, and won't make that mistake again.

3. The off season is all mine. No schedule for a while.

4. I am considering making it all about the bike. In 2007, the races I won were won on the bike. I was breaking an hour for the 40k. Cycling wasn't always my weakness, so I just have to get it back. Last winter, I tackled what I hated: swimming. And now I swim a little better and no longer hate it. So maybe it needs to be done. I'll start tomorrow. Or the day after, whatever.

5. This has nothing to do with sports. But I got my first migraine in seven years today. A sure sign of too much chocolate and too much stress. Unfortunately, Imitrex no longer works. Even more unfortunately, a pack of Imitrex costs $277 to not work. It's been 14 hours since I've been able to see out of my left eye. My health insurance ended yesterday, and doesn't pick up again until 30 days into my new job. So if anyone knows a home-remedy for getting one's vision back, please post it! I can't see.

No comments:

Post a Comment