Sunday, November 16, 2008

Found.

I said to my WWII stat-spouting son: You sound like Patrick. Henry replied: Who is Patrick? Sky answered: He's the starfish from Spongebob!

Apparently it's time for my brother Patrick to come for a visit. We haven't seen him in a couple of years. I didn't believe this was him when I found it, but as one of his friends commented on FB: Look at that hairy thing! Oh, and there's a goat!

I have a lot of little brothers. This particular one is working on a PhD at Georgetown. Something about old, dead stuff. The one getting a masters in booze is likely having more fun.

Today was a day of discoveries. I rediscovered the cumulative effect. If I run, run, and run, the runs just get better. After 18.75 miles yesterday, today's 9 miles with 6 x1000 was the best run I've had in ages. Maybe the best run ever, since I'm feeling superlative. I found that if I start at the bottom end of Portlock Road and run my time-guesstimated 1000 I finish at the gate of the house I grew up in.

And at lunchtime, I found this:
There's a YWCA 50 feet from my office, down an alleyway, facing Iolani Palace. I've lived 15 years in this city and never seen it. It's a Julia Morgan building with beautiful details. And a gym, pool, shower, locker, and Saturday ballet classes for Sky.. I found it all for $30/month. If it looks familiar, it's because it's the psych ward on Lost.

So The Bus and I are breaking up. With the 20 min walk to the stop, downhill in heels (both ways!) the 5:39 am express (I use that word lightly) was taking me 80 frigid minutes to get to town. I shivered while people who didn't brush their teeth fought to sit next to me. It's 15 miles each way, which is well under an hour on the bike, especially at 5:30 in the morning. It is time to ride my bike again. No more excuses. I'm really excited about riding my bike. REALLY. Super-duper totally excit.. bleh.


PS. I will shout it off the rooftops when I can see again, but until then, I'm done whining about it. Many of you nice people commented on my zen-like attitude. Was that reverse psychology? Because I don't think zen means muttering the f-word at my brain as much as I do. Or popping narcotics at work. I mean, it's almost like I'm sweeping the ants out of my path as I wa- wait, no, it's not at all. I'll say something about it when I have something good to say, I promise.

20 comments:

  1. They called to say the bike was done, I'm going to get it tomorrow, then it's all yours. Glad you had a good run and are feeling at least a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cycling is definitely the way forward. At least you'll do it in the beauty of the island. I will not even tell you what a foul weather I cycled in this morning in London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Rach! Well done. I am a massive LOST fan, you must stalk Sawyer for me please! I would join that YWCA just becasue it is in LOST!

    Great running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa. the running sounds good. i'm at the point where i love running just about as much as it sounds like you love riding the bike right now...

    awesome find with that Y!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Y is beautifuL :) Hope you get better soon. Thanks for some great entertaining posts lately :)
    -marn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Calvin and Hobbes=BEST COMIC EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I didn't realize how much running you are actually doing. Yikes. You can't see great and suffering from headaches yet you are much fitter than I'll ever be with 2 good eyes sans a migraine. BE SAFE ON YOUR BIKE!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so wishing I was running like that... bummer to miss out on the Honolulu Marathon...

    Patrick who? Ha ha ha! Oh man I get a crack outta your children!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice running there mama! although popping narcotics is fun, i still think you need to find another neurologist...your limited vision might make biking extra fun!!!
    i think you should post pictures of all of your brothers....;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that YMCA--gotta tell andy about it.

    Oh, and I plagiarized your work and blogged about you today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That YMCA looks unreal...I tell you they're not that nice here in San Francisco :-)

    The fact that you're plowing ahead while you have a spot in your vision is definitely zen (or stubborn - maybe I've confused the two).

    Happy cycling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - what a find with the YMCA - they definitly don't look like that around here!!! Good on ya for getting on your bike...at least one of us is! hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A long time ago in the UK I used to cycle 16 miles each way to work (mostly rural parts of Surrey) and used the time to listen to language tapes on a Walkman. I left my suit jacket and stuff like that at the office so I could feel comfortable. I remember using the train to attend a job interview in London and it was hell. How can people waste their time every day like that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Score on the Y find! Yey about the running!

    I always find mind over matter really does help my outlook considerably, and sometimes even my workouts! Be careful on the bike.

    I did grad school at G'town! You need to come visit your bro out here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The description of the bus made me laugh out loud. You HAVE to blow that popsicle stand like pronto. At least the running is good and getting better, see all the wonderful things you can do as a pirate. I really do hope you get to feeling better and not popping so many pills soon (if that's what you want and all!!). Take care RR. Stay positive.. or um.. your usual self :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Rachel! I've been a "lurker" for a while, but I wanted to comment on your totally awesome "wit"..your blog is hilarious---I found it via my coach (Amanda Lovato's) blog and then you know how that goes one blog leads to another...blah blah..

    So---the vision thing isn't so hilarious--but like everyone else said you are really doing what you can do get through it and hopefully *very* soon it will come back!

    I'm sorry, but the real thing that made me laugh out loud and I had to comment on was when you said "people who don't brush their teeth were fighting to sit next to me." I literally laughed out loud...

    Anyway, hi from San Diego and keep up the f*words, positivity and whatever gets the sight back!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I won't even tell you what the YMCA around here looks like. It's um, not quite like that. :o)

    Good luck with getting back to the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YMCA....it was also the "Los Angles courtroom scenes" when "Kate" was on trial for her crimes which I was in on LOST (Eggtown 4th episode) during last season. (2nd floor)

    ReplyDelete