Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The thin line between quirky and crazy.

Well, the cocktail wasn't that fun. But I lost 6 pounds in two days, so if I were on the biggest loser instead of in the biggest migraine, I would have been super stoked. My blood pressure was so low while cocktailing that I had to squat down and put my head between my knees every time I tried to stand up, which looks funny when you're at work and you're wearing a dress. And no one knows you're on medication, you're just the quirky new girl.

The cocktail also didn't change anything. I woke up and tried to be positive, to tell myself I could see perfectly and it was all over.. ok, now it's all over.. ok, now! But it wasn't meant to be.

I checked in with the neuro today. She ordered me into the tube of death. Every time I go in there they play the Curious George soundtrack. Is Jack the official music of MRI? Or is it just because every time I go anywhere in this state they play Jack? I put a pillow over my eyes before they caged my head so that I couldn't accidentally open my eyes. Panic attack! Panic attack! Whew. 25 minutes later it was official: I didn't have a stroke.

Then I hit the needle shop. I seriously lose my shit when it comes to needles. It's not a pain thing, it's a gross thing. Metal things should not be in my veins! The nurses get all excited about my big nasty man-veins, then blow them out one by one while I hyperventilate. I am not above biting. I didn't have babies without drugs to experience the joy of birth. I had babies without drugs because drugs require needles. I spent 6h in the hospital while drugs were delayed because they thought I was dying. If your heart rate is under 40 at Kaiser, you need a pacemaker. My normal blood pressure of 98/40 was not making anyone happy either. They poured bags of saline into me, and my blood pressure still made the alarms go off. I felt fine. But now I kind of wonder what my bp was when I was falling over in my office - 40/11?

After my string of performances today at Kaiser they sent me home with valium. Apparently someone thinks I'm a little high strung. I actually feel better.. I am not 100%, but I've exhausted the medical treatment for fixing a prolonged migraine. The neuro has got nothing for me and the pain is gone, all that remains is funky vision. So now it's mine to get rid of, and I know my brain isn't about to explode or anything..

I started with 7 miles in 49 minutes. Turns out 11 days off is good for something! It was a nose-breather and the legs were ready to run. I'm pretty sure swimming and biking aren't good for migraines though.

Tomorrow Ramsey turns 109. For his birthday I gave him 7 hours in the hospital and good odds of picking up MRSA. Happy birthday, honey!

35 comments:

  1. OMG our husbands are the same age! I ahve decided I can no longer read your blog while drinking coffee. It's dangerous for my laptop.

    Are you a Starbucks Gold Card Member yet?

    And WOW..... Jack is also the song of the Eggers home! What a coinidence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nightmare! Hope you see the light at the end of the tunnel soon (and not in a dead kind of way).
    But Valium? You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel:
    I hope you feel better soon, too. After years of muscle relaxants and pain killers that did not do a single thing for my back, a female doctor close to the same age as me wrote me a prescription for valium. It works...I only need them sparingly...but they work. I hope it works for you, too. BTW, Quirky is good. Happy Birthday to Ramsey. I hope that he manages to squeeze in a water polo game today to celebrate his old age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Ramsey! sorry about the trials, tribulations, and needles. No fun. Whenever I hear about valium I always think of that line from the Beatles song, "She goes running for the shelter of her mother's little helper..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I would make a great pair with all our bodily problems these days, haha! Feel better soon!
    LC

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy birthday ramsey! good luck with the hospital germs.


    i can't believe the BP fiasco. you should have been like, "you know lance armstrong? i'm like HIM. fitter than you can possibly imagine and NOT like a normal person. now stop stalling, get this over with and you can go back to the break room to get your steak and donuts to keep your BP "normal".
    whoa. maybe I need some of your valium!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so not funny.. but you my friend, in general are so hiliarious and awesome to keep your sense of humor. Someday when you look back you're going to curse this situation, but also laugh and be SOOO glad that is it over and that you can see and feel good. Think positive thoughts and keep running like a freak of nature if that helps! SEnding you good healthy postive vibes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy birthday to the husband. as for you...you are making it hard for me to revert to sloth-like behaviors. hell, if you can go out and run 7 in 49 I can certainly get through power yoga with a little sinus trouble. damn it.

    sending good healthy vibes across the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rachel,

    Still love your writing even though the headaches must suck. Us Timex guys in the office are thinking of you and sending you good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - it's really impressive you can keep your sense of humor about all of this. And they caged your head? I think a panic attack was in order. I have abnormally low blood pressure and passed out on the L going to work one morning. No one would believe me that my blood pressure is almost always that low. I had to go through endless tests to find out: "It's amazing you don't pass out more often."

    ReplyDelete
  11. hooray for no pain, at least.

    doctors just don't understand athletes.. we need MedicAlert bracelets for the 'athlete syndrome' of low HR and BP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the happy wishes everyone.
    Rach, that line you were talking about between quirky and crazy, it's fictional.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm pretty sure swimming and biking aren't good for anything. Hope you can see again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel, it's a gift to be able to tell a good story and you sure do have the gift. Sad to say that I was entertained by your misery which seems to be a common theme on this blog. Maybe your calling in life is to suffer for the enjoyment of others. Hang in there woman.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rach!
    Holy crap girl...
    Glad to see you can keep everyone else smiling and laughing while you are suffering... I hope you can see soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious post... even though the circumstances suck. Sounds like there's hope though! Glad you're starting to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh... this sounds horrible! No wonder you have a migraine... how crazy is everything for you right now? I hope everything gets better VERY soon, and 7 miles in 49 min with all of this going on, you are CRAZY woman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Valium? hahahah... ya, you need it. I'm saying that as a friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not sure how you have managed to come this far with all the crap going on but I am impressed. I hope you feel better soon and vision returns.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you can make something so scary so damn funny. You are amazing. I hope everything resolves on its own quickly. Damn doctors, what are they good for?

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Medicine is a crapshoot...seriously. Sounds like you have a plan to heal yourself...go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hang in there, you will get better. Many people are concerned and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my....i hate MRIs and i hate needles even more but a couple of years ago, i had to get several done so i just had them IV me so i could wiggle my foot when i needed more drugs. you might as well make it as fun as it can be.
    i got valium after my accident to help with muscle spasms, so it has all kinds of uses. good ones.
    please pursue this til you find an answer - it never hurts to get a second opinion.
    take care. xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. You get music in your MRI's? Does it make them any better at all? Those little tubes suck! I hope you're feeling better soon. Even sick you're kicking our butts out here. Good job on the run.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rach, holy crap! I am totally with you on the needle thing! Just the thought...makes me want to...Blahhhh!

    Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really hope your vision comes back SOON. *fingers crossed

    Happy B-day, Ramsey!

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I worked in an office, I used to have a pair of rainbow 3D glasses in my drawer for when we taught the kids about rainbows. When things got bad or stressful on the job I would put the glasses on to change my point of view. Sounds like someone put rainbow glasses on you. It's a different point of view and I don't recommend driving with 3D glasses on nor being blind in one eye but it got you to see things differently and take some down time. Sometimes the best things in aren't apparent at first. I am sure visual will return to normal when your body is ready...know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Let us know if the valium works. I'd be open to trying that when I get those week long migraines which are probably stress related. What a releif you're not having a stroke, that is my worry too when I get a particularly bad migraine. I get panic attacks too, I wonder if those two conditions are related! My panic attacks are very rare now. I developed panic disorder because I was overdoing for a while, and didn't take good care of myself. Going through that taught me what self care is all about. So, I guess I'm thankful for it looking back.

    I'm rootin' for you! Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Hey RR hope you are feeling better. Love reading your blog and enjoy your writing style. Thinking of you!

    Now, when you have those left-over Diazepam pills u won't be using again.... I will come over and get them from you!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well I'm glad you confirmed there was no stroke. God, you worry me. I don't need any more wrinkles!!

    and the blood pressure-wtf? that's crazy! are you hypoglycemic? Didn't I already ask you that?

    thinking about you....
    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hope you're well soon - awesome you had a great run!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really hate that you are still seeing funky, but it's great to hear that your pain has subsided.

    109? Ramsey looks great for being such a geezer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm very glad your pain is a bit less...I can't imagine the pain you must go thru during your migraines-I think I'd want to shoot someone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Geeeeze Rachael this is crazy that they can't figure it out!! Hope is goes away soon!!! Get back to your fun self:)

    ReplyDelete