Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mind over eye-blob.


The exciting thing about valium? It isn't that exciting. I didn't turn all happy-housewife and bake pies while my kids jumped off the balcony into the pool and threw rocks at the neighbor's pets. I just fell asleep. I am over not seeing. Not better, just over it. The pain kept me up most of the night, but it comes and goes. I can go a good 15 minutes without noticing the floaty thing in my eye now. I only thought about it twice on my run, both times during the 40' of tempo, when I was looking for an excuse to quit. I ran 15 miles and realized I'm facing another steep marathon build if I want to run Honolulu in December.. because 15 was hard.

My friend Kaui had a birthday party tonight. I never thought I would be raising my kids with the kids of my high school friends, but every couple there contained a classmate. And I loved it. I love raising my kids here where I grew up. Kaui's backyard view makes me feel like I'm back in Tahiti. The parties start like this:

And by dark, the grown-ups are beating the hula girl pinata and mini airplane-booze bottles are falling out. Hula girls as pinatas may not have been especially well thought-out. There were cries of "rip off her leg!" and "go for the head!" that may have not been appropriate for a younger child's birthday party. The mix of candy, whiskey bottles and condoms that came out of her beaten torso were only slightly more inappropriate than Kaui's mom busting some of the parents smoking contraband outside her bedroom window. When the hula girl exploded, Pat warned the kids that the pinata was full of chores to keep the condom questions at bay.

I had no talent for the talent show that preceded dessert. But Henry rocked it with armpit farts. My husband drank enough to motivate me to start driving again. It had been two weeks, but I've reached a point where I'm comfortable enough with my sight to get behind the wheel.

I alternate between my Things Fall Apart mindset and my normal it'll all work itself out self. Life is too hard sometimes, and this continues to be one of those times. But nothing lasts.

18 comments:

  1. Again, you are making us all smile. What a wonderful view in that backyard...and how great that you are surrounded by highschool people. Andrew is not feeling very well, and in his delirium, started looking up election results on his crackberry, couldn't figure out why only 50% of people in Hawaii voted Democrat in 2004 and then 75% in 2008, until I pointed out that Obama had lived in Hawaii, and then he started reciting all the pople that he knew that went to Punahou and fell right to sleep. So, I guess P grads are comforting in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing lasts..... that's exactly right. If we didn't have a rock bottom, where the hell would we go?

    :-) Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are improving, even if slowly. Anyway, get plenty of rest - you deserve it, and I hope you get in good enough shape to do the Honolulu marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for cracking me up this morning (and giving me MORE reasons we need to move to hawaii)...that kids birthday party sounds like plenty of adult fun too!

    you'll be ready for honolulu...i just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second that Rach... no storm lasts forever...

    Honolulu, you will be great, you know that run so well you could run it blind if you had too and I told Mark to lead you!!

    Have a good Sunday... more Hula Parties!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that! And totally LOVE the little girl who is wearing the super safety don't drown bathing suit for a slip n slide!!! Too cute!!!
    You will do great in your race.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cant believe youre still having seeing problems, way to tough it out!

    you could always just have a drinking contest to decide whose the designated driver

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you guys came and had fun! I always love seeing your crew. Hope you feel better. Would a stronger dose of valium work?
    --Kaui

    ReplyDelete
  9. darn. I wonder if you got hypnotized or something like that would help. Not saying you are crazy :) but just thinking outside the box. I also wonder about Cranial-sacral work , i work with some PT's that use that and it may be worth looking into.
    Hang in there and keep the positive attitude sprinkled with some bouts of cynicism. It WILL go away....
    and keep posting pics of tropical sites. I did my first ride in the snow flurries today.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I don't have any amazing words of wisdom to share and haven't been through the same thing... I get what it feels like to look okay on the outside and not be okay on the inside. And I especially resonate with the balance of having a breakdown and maintaining a calm that it'll all be okay. I love your last few lines... so perfectly stated.

    It's hard when people keep asking how you're doing and you simply have nothing new to report even though you SO BADLY wish you did.

    Know though, that it's important to stay authentic in all of this (which you do a great job of). All your peeps are in for the ride, Rach!

    Sending an empathetic hug your way. Keep on keepin' on. You are one tough, B!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really amaze me! Just with the way you've dealt with all this and kept your sense of humor. That just shows how tough you are... Hoping this is your week to see 100% again with no pain Rachel!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really have nothing to say other than... you are great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right, nothing lasts but it sure feels like it lasts forever when you are in midst of it. I am amazed by how you are toughing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe marathons are more fun when you can't see? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chin up Rach, things will get better. Don't push yourself too hard. 2009 is right around the corner and you want to be fresh as a daisy ready for a new season, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've developed an amazing zen attitude about this sight thing...good karma will come around and chase that sucker out of your head. I'm sure of it. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rach,

    You are killing me with your stories. I want to be at that party! Where was my invite. Booze, Condoms and Contraband. I need to hang out with you more often! Oh, and don't forget armpit farts. I rock those like nobodies business. Maybe this will be some of the talent that I show off at camp next year.

    So, chin up! If more people had an attitude like yours the world would ROCK.

    Bruce "Beecho" Gennari

    ReplyDelete
  18. Genius. Even when you can't see you write remarkably well...and hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

    Glad to see you're still in there :)

    xo,
    P.

    ReplyDelete