Thursday, November 20, 2008

F10.

Here's what I learned in 40 hours of HAZWOPER: Don't lick the poison.

Also, don't ever, ever shoot the lid off of a container of hazardous waste with a firearm.

I am so much smarter now, I don't at all feel like I wasted a week of my life.

I ran with the Boca group this rainy Saturday morning. Last year I coached this clinic, but this year.. well, too many balls in the air. We ran the first 9 miles out to Hawaii Kai socially, chatting away. Raul instructed us to run back at goal marathon pace, and I was determined to hold onto Glenn and Dave, because peer pressure makes me faster. We waded back to Waikiki running 6:45s. It poured the whole time, and I never would have made it through 19 miles in that weather, let alone at that pace, alone.

I also received my marathon number today. I asked a new friend, who happens to be the RD, if I could have an entry, since it's really expensive at this point. And he sent me F10 and the list of elites and their PRs. There are 9 men, 10 women, and only one isn't from Kenya or Russia. Me. All of the PRs are 30+ min faster than my 3:04. But man, the elite start in front of 28,000 runners? The VIP tent for me and the family at the finish? I know I don't fit in, but how could I say no? Here I was thinking I would never get a number cooler than last year's.. and now I have: F10. Three weeks till race day!


There is new Neil coming. New old Neil. Thank you DJ Berner, for the head's up. For the fellow Neil junkies, you can hear it first on NPR.

16 comments:

  1. GO F10!
    Oh my heart is so pounding for you, it is jumping outta my shirt! Thank goodness I will be in FL/Costa Rica when your marathon is going on or I would jump in that beast and run it too... bummer to miss it this year!

    F10, still can not get over how cool that is! Just go for it, hold on to the leaders and see what happens :) Maybe you stick with them all 26.2, maybe you break 3, no matter what you are running as a pro, it doesn't get more cool!

    3weeks! Chicken skin ALL over my body thinking about this race for you! Can I be your biggest fan? Need anything from Kona??? ha ha ha

    Great 19miler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting to run with the elites, in front of 28,000 runners is KILLER. I can't wait for you - how exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a 40HR Hazwoper sign outside a swim meet I was at in Oregon once. We had no idea what it meant, but it seemed funny enough for us to steal it and put it on the back of our team van. I wonder if anyone missed the class and shot a gun at a hazardous waste container.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So. You have 3 kids?

    I have 3.

    How do you do it... like, the Ironman... speedy marathon times...

    I hope to run my first marathon in June (I've done 4 halfs), and I did my first Olympic tri in August.

    And it is so hard t find/make the time just training for those distances.... AND I train to finish decently, not place in my age group.

    Good job. I cheer for you and aspire to get there one day. if not the speed, at least a half-iron! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. solid run today! you are ready to crush the marathon...don't worry about the other women, they won't know what to do in that kind of weather and humidity.
    as for your number, coo, but i think it'll be pretty hard to beat last years' ##.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard about that on NPR and I thought of you. You guys were crazy running Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NIICE number girl. Hope you crush your marathon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay, great number. i am sure you'll do great and something tells me that there may be a new PR coming..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooooooo F10 sounds like a fancy fast fighter jet.... Nice! And, I'd like to point out, appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go F10! It just sounds like a fast number. Seems you will be breaking 3 hours in 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so awesome that you're in the pro race - you go girl! And 6:45min/miles are crazy fast!

    The 200 mile challenge sounds really cool but I think I would definitely have to build up to it. I couldn't imagine that much running!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the elite start - you deserve to be there... even if your brain is contaminated by hazpower. Can't wait to hear what you face next at work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel,
    Neil (or as I call him Uncle Neil) was in town recently. It's unbelievable how good he still is after all these years kickin' out the jams. I was in awe the whole 2hours!
    Enjoy the "new" album!
    IY

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I am posting again. Would be great to meet up if you have time. We will be there for a week or so and not planning on doing much but chilling. I think..

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I ever got an elite number I'd consider my life complete..
    what fun, enjoy it ;-)

    thanks for the Neil link, I have it playing now..

    ReplyDelete
  16. can't wait for you to run! when is the race? I'll be tracking!
    -marni

    ReplyDelete