Monday, August 25, 2008

Food challenge (Take 421)

The fitmom girls have issued a challenge. Now, you might remember the last time I said I was done eating like a couch potato.. and the time before that, and so on. But this time there is much talk of how Farber is going to bring it and it just so happens that it's well timed to line up with the final 6+ weeks until Kona. I have would love to just once race an Ironman at my pre-Ironman girth. Back when I ran for fun, no racing, no triathlon, I was 6-8 pounds lighter than I am since developing this terrible case of quadzillia and swimmerbackitis. I feel like the girl who sprung the sneak attack on Beth this weekend.

And in case you're wondering, no, I don't actually care if it's all muscle and if I lose any of that all-muscle. Not one bit. The less I cart around on that run, the better. I am not above putting look good over bike split. I don't play composition favorites. I am 5' 11" and added weight = big girl. This is pre-tri me and here I am now, (scroll down, hottie at top is Beth) kicking Beth's ass at the end of that race I snuck into last weekend in Cali.

There are a few rules:
  • Nothing processed goes in.
  • I must eat breakfast.
  • No social eating.
  • No chocolate. Because I am not a just-one-bite kind of girl.
  • No lying about how it's going.
And some exceptions:
  • Processed is OK while training. Infinit & Powergels don't grow on trees.
  • The protein powder in the Jamba all-fruit is exempt. I need my recovery favorite!
Dinners are the big problem. Wyatt only eats bread and cheese. Oh and butter. When he gets a papercut, that's probably cheese coming out. I know, bad parenting.. trust me, the kid goes to bed without food quite frequently. But still I feel guilty when I know I'm making nothing he will eat. I tend to just make dinner for the kids because I'm too busy or R isn't home. Stuff they'll eat, with a fruit and vegetable on the plate for them to look at.. and to ensure that no one gets dessert. And then I either skip dinner or eat peanut butter off a spoon. Oh crap, is peanut butter processed?

A few inspiring blogs - First dinner up is cornmeal-crusty turkey from James & Lindsay. Lindsay makes some incredible healthy food and James is a tri-star, check them out here.

Beth & James have a blog dedicated solely to their most-excellent eating habits: VO2maxxed But no matter how cute and fast Beth is, I will never ever eat seashell soup. Seashells belong on the seashore, not in broth.

Mark's Daily Apple is a little extreme for me (my canines are not that big.. they're kind of flat actually, so maybe I have evolved into an herbivore?) but has some great suggestions and ideas as well.

I admit it, it's not all about looks, I do notice the correlation between crappy eating and crappy workouts. Leading into this weekend I ate well a few days in a row, and the weekend workouts were great. No bonks, no cramps, no ducking into the bushes (ahem, Wil.) And I can't say the same for a long run the morning after the visit to Outback Steakhouse. My sister made me eat there. The petite little vegetarian even ordered the bacon cheese fries.

20 comments:

  1. You can get unprocessed peanut butter. Adam's is a good brand, Just crushed peanuts and salt. :) OR, go to Down to Earth and crush your own in their peanut butter making machines... make almond butter there too... mmmmm. ;)
    My pregnany diet sounds like Wyatt's diet... cheese and butter. Looking forward to unloading the little monster so I won't crave that crap anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! Go for the all-natural almond butter... it's good. Just's almonds and salt (good fat).

    6 weeks is out is perfect... I have hard time staying on "the plan" without some serious cheating for more than a week. Just stick to the 80/20 rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you need some sort of safe detox?

    I have entered a sugar-withdrawal coma just reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acai bowl sister. Tasts a bit like chocolate. Trust me on this one!

    :-) mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it Rach!

    6 weeks without sugar...Go Rachel Go...Go Rachel Go...

    Make sure your hubby is at the finish line in Kona with a big fat bag of M+M's!

    I know it is hard to stay of the hard stuff (sugar and processed crap) but it will pay huge dividends when race day rolls around. Stay Strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oddly enough I'm also 6-8lbs heavier as a triathlete than I was as a runner. However I can't find any muscle to blame it on, think it's just part of the total mental, moral and physical collapse since turning 45 ;-(
    2-3lbs of that will go away on the no-chocolate no-wine diet, but that's not sustainable as a lifestyle.

    "Stuff they'll eat, with a fruit and vegetable on the plate for them to look at.. and to ensure that no one gets dessert. "
    hah! exactly so.. a kind of kid nouvelle cuisine. We allow substitutions, 2 pieces of fruit = half portion of dessert, for example. That's only because I'm not tough enough to be a parent.

    The unprocessed pb is much better-tasting than Jif or whatever, anyway. Jif has sugar, salt, partially hydrogenated oils, and possibly molasses as well. Ew. Nothing wrong with plain old unimproved pb..

    ReplyDelete
  7. swimmerbackitis - that's funny, i'm working on developing that.

    i think training for IM makes you pack on a little extra something...i try to tell myself it is all the extra glycogen my body is storing or maybe it's muscle. the weird thing is that since i have been sitting on my ass 24/7, besides that fact that i have become incredibly soft, i have lost around 5 pounds. my quads have deflated and i have no muscle in my ass to speak of. it's quite sad. truly.

    don't give up sugar completely. you need it. sugar=fuel and fuel=energy(said as i am finishing of a 3lb bag of haribo gummi bears....and i don't even need fuel)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had not already eaten all the peanut butter cups I would be throwing one at you right now.

    This just in: I just spoke with peanut butter cups and they said that they'll see you at mile 18 in Kona. I'll be there with a big bucket. We'll see who can resist their yummy processed goodness then... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe Wyatt is on the Micheal Phelps eating plan?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Almond Butter is great! Get some.

    I am trying to stop eating all the junk too. I started my no candy challenge this week. I am addicted to candy.

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So does that mean NO MORE STARBUCKS...NOOOOOOOO....Good luck to you...as that is never a goal I would set for myself as it would end in FAIL :( But you are strong so NO junk for you :)

    BTW: catching up here...you look stunning doll in that blue dress below..I love that dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, am I really the first person to say that you are NOT a big girl??? I have seen pics of you and you are tall and thin. I know, I know, it's all relative and we all have our own personal "scary weight" but really, lady, you look fabulous right now! Eat healthy for being healthy, but NOT because you are a big girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could cook, and I wish I could put on a pound of weight. I have tried eating more, but to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey crustaceanivore hater!

    ok. first, you are that tall skinny bitch with legs everyone would kill for...

    second. i promise i have tried this same diet more times than you. i am writing this besides my empty 12 ounce container of frozen yogurt (wishing i had more). for me, afternoon is the deadliest time..and my office is next door to the teachers lounge- can you say PTA brownies and bagels every day!!! ah!

    you can come out to cali and beat me up anytime! going to come for oceanside again next year? come stay with us!
    i'll buy a few butter tubs for w-man and we'll be set.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll take care of your sugar needs until Kona...heck I'm on a roll over here, may as well add more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha ha swimmerbackitis, that is good stuff! I never got that, sounds like something the Olympic swim girls develop!

    I met Ben from Zoot at the airport 10 hours or so ago, we checked in on you... we both think you are being a nerd! A really big one! COME ON, are you for REAL?! The day you get slow because of your body is the day you have to make serious changes, but if you body is performing well (and your is) then you are were you need to be. I had a super rockin' swim friend here that was convinced if she dropped weight she would be even faster... well, let me tell you , she no longer swims at all, had to go to the hospital for eating disorders, and is SLOW now, I mean I can beat her (and that was impossible before she got into "let's get thin".)

    Just be happy Rach, you are beautiful...

    And Ben and I are still laughing about you thinking you are big! He says hi by the way. I told him you made your long workouts without pain and he smiled so big! He is glad you are on the mend!! Me too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every time I read you posts about food I get hungrier and want to eat some M&Ms - would you cut it out?? :-) I would hope to look as "fast" as you in that Boston Marathon picture - oh wait - I guess I have to qualify first! You are my idol - how the heck do you run so fast??? Happy eating these next couple of weeks and keep garlic and a cross handy if someone attempts to double cross you with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Farber here.Talk about quadzilla . . . I need to sew my lips shut until next tri season. I never do contract that much talked about swimmerbackitis - perhaps it might help to counter balance my thighs?? I am IN and *bringing it* HARD - once I finish that case of Edna Valley, of course.

    I just got my race pics from my oly - 10 lbs up from where I am happy - and let me tell you, 132 does NOT become me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crap, I better put the M&Ms down. Why do you always put pics of my alltimehavetohavethemnowM&Ms? ANYWAY, Ok, I can say this b/c I met you -- YOU are not big. PLEEASE. And, my friend..you do not have SHOULDERS or lats from swimming...take another look at that pic from Chicago - the OW swim race you did with me standing next to you - NOW take another look. I AM the one with the swimmer built...but it is hard to have it all - hard to be super thin and have power (now, don't throw Emma Snowsill at me now) and be a good swimmer. IF you swim alot you do build muscles mass...just a fact...but, I think you looked VERY thin - a little too thin? at your marathon pic. You look super, you race well and all that good stuff. Just eat well and train hard and you will do just dandy. Ok, and no chocolate? I could give up everything BUT Peanut butter & chocolate. Well, I could give that up but my husband would divorce me b/c I would be a raving lunatic. Good luck....jen h. :)

    ReplyDelete