Friday, August 15, 2008

Free Willy.



This morning I braved the murk at Ala Moana Beach Park. As far as fugly water goes in Hawaii, I think only Keehi Lagoon is worse. And no one swims there. I was shocked at the crowd swimming at Ala Moana this morning, boldly putting their faces in the urban run-off and bacteria of yesterday's storms. Stefan leads a swim of longer intervals Fridays at 6:30 am and this was my first time trying it. I actually held onto swimstar Ryan Leong's feet for the first 500. He must have been swimming backstroke. After that it went a little downhill. When Stefan yelled GO! for the fifth 500 on 8:00 it seems I thought he meant GO! home. And I did.

As I cooled down back into shore, a shadow came up a few feet below me. Once it was within arms reach, I realized it was a small sea turtle. I briefly considered trying to grab him, but I think that's illegal. I was trying to save him, marine patrol officer! Perhaps he has no idea that just half a mile away there is a real ocean. One where you can see for more than two feet in front of your face. One that isn't 50% salt water, 25% sunscreen and 25% s-h-i-t. I could grab him, run over the reef, and drop him off in a place where the sand isn't made of that stuff they put in ashtrays. Follow me to freedom, little guy!! But he disappeared before I could kidnap him and show him that the ocean doesn't always taste like coconut oil.

I survived the elements yesterday to get 100 miles in. Maggs called 20 min before we were to meet, but I didn't pick up. I knew what she was calling for. She was forced to show up at the Kalapawai rendez-vous and kept me company for two hours of downpour and slippery streets, for which I am very grateful.

I am having a little issue with downtown Honolulu. Both the last building I worked in (at he US Geological Survey) and my current building do not allow you to bring a bike in. Not even in the service elevator. I begged and pleaded, and they repeated that there aren't that many thefts from the bike rack out back. Great. I can't park Clemetine out there, she cost more than my volvo. Plus she's not insured. And not even really officially mine to lose. I don't get it.This building is always patting itself on the back for it's green-ness. Yet no, no bikes allowed. I asked friends in different buildings around Honolulu - same deal. No bikes allowed. One small bike rack in the back alley, with no security. I feel a letter to the editor coming on. I know I should buy $100 beater and ride it in, but it was already an hour ride.. that would make it two. And not really help me kill two birds in the training arena like I was hoping to do...

Check out Barack at Sandys yesterday. Somehow in all my looping around I didn't notice the sea of cop cars 2 miles from my house. You know I would have been there bodysurfing had I seen him.


14 comments:

  1. Is Ramsey jealous of your Obama fascination? Tall, dark... I hope thats all your thinkin'.

    I think I better spend more time on Mary's blog, the guy she is stalking gives me better day dreaming material... nothing like 6'4 with a wing span of 6'7 and he keeps up with the dolphins in Kailua Bay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am back, I just can't stop laughing! Breakfast is ALL over my computer. I am catching up on blogs now that taper gave me time and like 4 girls have Phelps or some hot Olympian posted and their love of them, BUT YOU HAVE OBAMA! It is cracking me up! Rach and Obama, every other woman and an Olympian! ha ha ha, too darn funny...
    I would just die if you can get in a photo with him, I would literally roll over dying of laughter if you had a photo posted of you and Obama... ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya on the bike commuting situation. I had to work at it at my work to get permission to bring my bike in. I've also commuted to work in full time trial gear and disk wheel. You've got to try to win the commuter Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I wish I knew that Obama was at Sandy's yesterday. I totally would have gone and stalked him. I heard he was at the Kaneohe 24 Hr Fitness last Sunday morning... I was there in the afternoon... just missed him! Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Michelle said to Barack: "Can you believe I saw Rachel Ross running by the van? We have to go to Hawaii so maybe we'll see her again!" I think you've got a fan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is surprising to find out there is a body of water in Hawaii that is not crystal clear and pristine!

    I can't believe it about the bike rule in downtown Honolulu - what a joke! You're going to have to find a way to inconspicuously hoist your bike up from the street to your office window and back down at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't believe that the water is in such rough shape - that would be a good enough excuse for me not to get in! good luck with your obama stalking but just so you know and can plan your schedule accordingly, he is going to be out this way in a week or so ;). in for a little altitude training?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know there are people who are actually jealous that we can train in Ala Moana??? That picture of it actually makes it look pretty.

    I think you might have missed the police cars at Sandy's because your view was hampered by the pouring rain yesterday...oh wait, he was probably inside until it was sunny in the afternoon... he's obviously smarter than we are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take the front wheel off of your bike and tell them it is a unicycle...Or is there a "no unicycle" rule in the bldg also.

    Who ever made the "no bike" rule obviously has been sniffing to much sunscreen.

    By the way...nice job getting a 100 mile ride in - midweek!

    ReplyDelete
  10. seriously. i will send you $10 if you try that unicycle thing. hilarious...

    i bet they had to do like a bagillion shots to get that one where he looks like a probodysurfer...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first bike in Kailua-Kona which cost me $6 lasted me three years of training, did a lot of Mango races and got me to Hawi and back. Sure I would have gone a little faster if it had been a flashy carbon one, and more my size, but at least I could leave it outside Wal-Mart, etc. So it should be possible for you to get something good enough for training and junk enough to leave on the bike rack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RR, you are da bomb.com......Seriously, Obam-ster in the body surf!!?!?!??!? How very Hawaiian of him..........Have you figured out the rack (or lack thereof in the office) situation?

    Act like you are a bike messenger and pretend you just HAVe to take something very important up to your office building....they may buy it...? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Rach...Good luck tomorrow. Your first full day - are you bringing your bike trainer?

    ReplyDelete
  14. i miss my view of ala moana beach park... kim

    ReplyDelete