Sunday, August 17, 2008

You have a TV, right?

Two nights in a row, the Ross family has managed to see the Olympics. Last night we overstayed our welcome at Keri & Pat's BBQ to hijack the TV. I nailed Synchronicity II on Rock Band (99% baby!) while watching Grant Hackett's gorgeous stroke in the 1500 on the flat screen next to the playstation. Pat fell asleep on the couch, and I'm pretty sure Keri went to bed. We let ourselves out after the Men's 100m dash. 

A good friend turned 40 tonight and had a pool party. YES! Weasled our way into the TV room again just in time for... rowing. Greeeeeaaaaaat, rowing. I actually rowed for nine months at Cal. Those were not good times. When everyone else got on the plane for the San Diego Crew Classic at spring break, I got on a plane to Hawaii and said buh-bye to rowing forever. The Oakland Estuary just didn't agree with me. I quit shortly after hitting a dead pig with my oar.

The Queen of Confidence, Sky, watched Guo fly through a dive and said "I could totally do that. I should do that!" and that's it, she has found her sport. I'll take it. By kid #3, anything is better than those god-awful soccer games where they all kick each other in the shins for 40 minutes and you're expected to feed forty people at the end.

Tomorrow morning I am out the door at 5:15 am for a long run.. wait.. ride.. no.. day of work, that's it! First day - 6 am start. Since the company is on San Diego time, why shouldn't I be too? Here's a sneak peak at my high-powered working mom training plan: 

Lug floppy sleeping kindergardener three miles on your back while stooped at an odd angle to keep her there. Call it strength training day.

13 comments:

  1. That photo is priceless...can you lug me around like that...please, just a tiny nap:) I will let you borrow my T.V. Have fun at WORK:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time at work. Things can always be worse! Your blog is very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU can do it super mom... happy first day of work! Your kindergartener is the cutest one I ever saw!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck, carrying a kindergardener on your back for three miles SHOULD count as some BIG TIME training!

    I hope all goes well at work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the oldest TV on earth and the Olympics keep making me almost get a new one. I have to get through one more week, or we might just buy one.
    Adorable photo, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel - I was thinking about you today and hope the first day of work was decent. Also, I hope you make it back tomorrow.

    - Adria

    ReplyDelete
  7. You probably already know this, but since they don't televise the triathlon, you can watch the whole thing live online at nbcolympics.com. Since we have no tv either, it's embarrassing how much time I've spent staring at my computer! Anyway, men's triathlon today, I think at 3pm your time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm with roo - the coverage online is much better...they covered ALL of the women's tri, if you can believe it.
    i bet the rowers were very sad to lose you as i'm sure you met their height requirement - my very tall strapping friend jake w. went to cal too on a rowing scholarship(maybe around the same time you were there!) and just won the gold in the men's 8 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute shades!!!
    have fun in your long run tomorrow....you are so awesome that you have no TV, not sure i could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's cool. Another person without a TV. People look at us like we are crazy or don't "believe" in it when we tell them we didn't see it-don't have a tv. Have to say I got to watch some at my parents on Sat. night and I was hooked. So much fun pulling for them. My husband Aaron is hooked to the online clips! Too bad our 3 year olds can't get together and test out their confidence. My daughter appears to have just as much :) Too precious!
    All the best, Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoops she's not three! Big time Kindergartener!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you had a good first day at work! That picture is the cutest, too.

    Too bad you guys didn't get the triathlon coverage on t.v. over there. We had the whole mens' race televised on CBC yesterday. It was very exciting! Hopefully you got to catch some of it on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so funny how kids can just drop anywhere and fall into REM sleep. Bet you had some nice drool on your linen top. :-)

    Good luck on your tough sounding transition back to work and training.

    Where are these damn sugar daddys
    when we need them?

    ReplyDelete