Saturday, August 23, 2008

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch..

It's crazy how many times I get called crazy in one day. A paddling event had a billion people at the Outrigger Sunday, where we set up transition for the long double-brick. At each of our transitions someone rolled up and asked if we were crazy. No, we're just training for Kona.

Part way through the middle hour-long run of the 6 hour workout it hit me: I'm really Kona training. After months of thinking it wouldn't happen. I'm running, at a good pace, off the bike, and I feel like me. The old me. Katherine was having a tough moment and probably wanted to hit me with a branch because I was grinning ear to ear. Don't worry about her, she later came around and dropped my ass on the second run. She was probably just sick of the babbling.

It occurs to me that the crazy-callers have a point. A lot of bizarre stuff goes through my little brain during a long ride.

I speed up for these things. They're all over Oahu lately. (They don't say anything about Kentucky though.) It's almost as if I think there's a really small, judgmental cop hiding inside. 

I go through a month's worth of emotions. There is dread, anticipation, weariness, the I love my life this is so fun part, then utter depression where I don't want to go on, talking myself through something much too hard for me, another dose of I love my life this is so fun and sometimes some panic. I need a six-hour dose of whatever they're giving Britney these days.

I get really, really annoying songs stuck in my head. They are usually songs I haven't heard since high school. Click play so that I can spread the misery I experienced on today's ride to you. Come on, do it:


I take off my helmet and throw it on the side of the road at least once per long ride. Then I slow down, go back, shake the bee out of it, squish the little bastard that tried to kill me, and put it back on. Somehow they know that I am allergic. I am a bee magnet.

It's all a bit crazy, this Ironman training stuff. We were wondering today as we stood in the ocean when it was all over if maybe we were actually doing brain damage by raising our core temperatures for hours on end. Lord knows I get dumber and dumber as the ride goes on..

Transition:

I've been trying to sell this dumb minivan for months. No one wants to buy the big gas-guzzling eyesore, even though I'm an incredible saleswoman: It sucks, I hate it, please buy it so I don't have to look at it every day. Just call me The Closer. Every once in a while the Violet Beauregarde of the vehicle world serves a purpose worthy of taking it out.  It is the trannyvan. No, it doesn't dress up like a girl.

In other news.. call me if you want to buy an awesome 2006 Nissan Quest.

13 comments:

  1. GREAT DAY FOR YOU! I would love the van!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach...
    why is it dark in that picture?
    Look how everything fits so nice in there for you indoor transition area.

    Poor Nissan Quest.... no love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll trade you vans ;), i have one that is even roomier that is looking for a new home.
    sounds like a great day too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh at the full range of emotions/thoughts on your long days. I am much the same!! And I don't do stuff nearly as long as you... Funny how you can hit so many highs and lows all in the same day. Anyway, awesome brick RR!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem with bees. I'm a total bee magnet. Lucky I'm not allergic tho. I just picket up a spiuk road helmet. It has a bee net in it so that they don't get through the vents! It rocks.

    good luck with the mini van

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go on feeling normal. Yes, we are all crazy, especially if you're singing They Might Be Giants songs in your head as you train!
    My #1 son Jim has that song playing on his myspace page. Never thought he was paying attention way back when when I listened to them!
    Get back to work, woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was really funny - made me laugh out loud. A jumble of various thoughts and emotions. I was smart and didn't click play for the song. I always get really annoying songs stuck in my head too, for some reason they are already in my head when I wake up in the morning even though I hadn't heard the song in a long time!

    BTW, what saddle are you riding these days?

    ReplyDelete
  8. E - I always seem to get started in the dark. I'm always trying to avoid the sun as much as possible!

    Lisa - the Terry Zero. It's black with black polka-dots. I wouldn't say I love it, but it's the most bearable one I've been on yet.. no major issues :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering where on Oahu the speed limit was 55?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I played the song! I liked that song back in HS. It will probably be stuck in my head for workouts all week now. I get some pretty obnoxious ones in my head.

    I am another bee magnet. I got stung 15-20 times during a race once. And always get stung several times a year.

    Glad to hear your running and overall training is going well again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. smart move, no sense walkin' around with a catchers mitt leather face if you can avoid it...
    tanned legs, hummmmm I allow for that.
    I wish knuckehead Bree would update her blog so we know for sure about KFC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I not only get dumber as the workout goes on... I get almost incomprehensible as the season wears on! I'm almost certain there is permanent brain damage! :) LOVE that song too. Don't think I'd want it stuck in my head for 6 hours although! Great training!

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay, that song was really bad. sorry about the mini-van, i'll rent it from you next summer! kim

    ReplyDelete