Sunday, August 10, 2008

The formula.

I think we all have one - a formula that keeps us healthy and happy. And everyone's formula is different, but I've been asked to share what I've learned in 8 months of ITBS and what I'm doing now to finally be functioning. A while back I posted that I was playing Magnum.. so let me give you the Thomas Magnum voice over ITBS mystery-solved wrap up. 

Since March I have graced the paper-covered padded table of an Orthopedic Surgeon, Physical Therapist, Sports Med Doctor, Chiropractor/ART Provider & Muscle Activation Therapist. I have had an x-ray, MRI, 2 rounds of cortisone, many a massage, months of strengthening exercises, weekly adjustments & months of absolute rest (June & July 2008 will forever be referred to as
The Fattening.) I wore my gold aviators, but alas, didn't have Robin's Ferrari.

Here is what I now know: 
Glute medius strengthening, in spite of being the number one recommendation for ITBS, only injures me further. No glute medius strengthening.
No pool. Ever. Pool membership cancelled.
No running after swimming.
Swimming is limited to 3x/week.
No kicking. Ever.
High turnover, shorter stride in front when running.
I must stretch the psoas and glutes daily, even on rest days.
I must wear neutral, light racing flats.
I must get adjusted each week.
This stick thing, run along the tibialis, calf, arch and inner thigh for 30s each prior to running is supposed to activate the muscles that are being favored by my brain. Or something like that. It's working.

Saturday I rode 110 miles and swam a 2.4 mile race. Then I woke up Sunday and ran 2 hours without any IT band pain at all. I may have had a small, weeping tantrum and anxiety attack over my lack of fitness in the 30 mph headwind near Turtle Bay while lying down on the shoulder of Kam Hwy 80 miles into the ride. Katherine talked me back onto my bike (Ramsey won't come pick you up, he always tells you to walk until someone offers you a ride - she was right, he won't, he does, and someone always stops) and then she pulled my sorry ass home. By 110 I couldn't see out of my left eye. But even that was a welcome change to all the nothing. And The Fattening.

The injury wasn't completely fruitless. In all those months of swimming I became a sub-hour IM swimmer (wetsuit.. but we'll see if I can keep it for Kona) and an AG winner in a swim race this past weekend when I swam that extremely current-assisted 2.4 miler in 52:33. If I can con Bree or Hillary into wearing my chip for the swim at Kona, I'm going to use that swim as my evidence when they accuse me of cheating.

This is where the swim started. It was really hard to sight... well, it would have been if it weren't summer anyway..

13 comments:

  1. Awesome Rachel.... find the formula and stick to it!!! I have to send you a picture of the stick I got from Ahlsey's friend at Run in in SC. It's the stick, but with GOLF BALLS!

    :-) mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have worked so HARD to get where you are today...and I am so excited to follow you doing Hawaii IM...When I first started reading your blog you were NOT running at all then you ran 4 miles and was struggling and now 2 hour runs,,,,you are getting there so stick to the formula:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "High turnover, shorter stride in front when running."

    This is what really helped when I had ITBS as well. I wish I had a big outdoor "pool" to swim in!

    :-)

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about the foam roller!?!?!? I freakin' love that thing! And its ALL ITB if you do it right...check it out!

    Word to the wise whenever stretching or doing trigger point (stick, foam roller, tennis ball):

    ALWAYS massage/put pressure on the "belly" of the muscle and not at the joints (ie, on your knee cap, or at your hip joint) this can further injure you..and as you know, your muscle is likely injured NOT at the sight of pain but somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. www.optp.com will get you all the marble foam rollers ( they hold up the best) you could ever dream of.

    You are doing great at the rehab and patience...ITBS takes a long time and can be very fickle.

    Keep at it.
    Julia ( MPT )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are running again! I'll definately pack some imodium for Kona! No way could I have gone any further yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so want that stick! I've been looking for one in Kona but can't find one.
    Glad to hear you are running again.

    Nice swim start wave can't wait to see what the set looked like!hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha ha, I bet coach LOVES that you are saying "adios" to the swim pool! Gotta do what you gotta do though...

    Okay, that DARN swim... some of my Kona buds went over & all I heard was the bragging about how it was 2.3 miles and current and short and this and that and so NEXT one I am in... now their darn PRS are better than mine (did I mention they are 54 years old!!!! Old men in speedos!!) and they won't stop teasing how they rule!

    On a better note... WAY to run momma! I am smelling a sub 3:15 this year....mmmmm.... sweet victory is yours! Stay healthy! Keep up with that roller, LOVE it too...

    AND, thanks for the humor in your post (as usual), I had to laugh about Ramsey not coming for you, I can picture a traffic jam all stopping to get you on the side of the road! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  9. From the land of mulch: if you shovel enough of that sh*t, your back will hurt more than your knees. I too am visiting every known professional and keep hearing "FOAM ROLLER!" I keep trying to pitch the idea that it's the bike's fault, and all I need is some schmantzy new ride to solve the problem.
    You are back on track, and have a working formula. I'll drink to that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny how different things cause and irritate the IT band for different people. The shorter strides definitely helps for me though. It's great that you have figured out what works for you and can go strong for Kona now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey... I'd pick you up! LOL! Thanks for sharing what you've learned. What a journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 52!!!!! Holy cow you are turning into a fish. I have got to get to the island fast and swim in those waters it must be the trick ;-)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  13. My PT just sent me to buy "a stick" today, too. She thinks the foam roller is over-doing it.

    I am hoping that you get your fitness back really quickly--and nice training this weekend!
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete