Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Give me sugar. Now, please.

I am such a sucker when chocolate is near that I couldn't go anywhere near the southeast corner of Costco last night. I heard a rumor there were Hershey's Dark samples. I came home without detergent, windex and oatmeal because I didn't have the self-restraint to get within 50 meters and not steal all the sample lady's goodies cookie-monster style.

It's off to a rocky start. Day two started off with me running over a stray cat. There's a gully full of them on our street and one came out so fast that even at 15 mph there was no time to brake.. she was a white flash. Thump thump and off she ran.. aarrgh. I was taking the boys with me into work and they said What was that? I did what any good parent would: I lied. A coconut. One of our kitties was hit recently (she's fine now) and the kids were devastated. How could I tell them I was the evil car this time? No doubt they think I'm nuts for stopping and running out to see if the Coconut was OK (I couldn't find her), then crying the rest of the way into town. Ramsey has been calling both our kittens Coconut ever since.

Later I took myself on a 2-hr recovery ride on my planned rest day so that I could eat a peanut butter clif bar. Remember the while-exercising exemptions! It was awesome.. until a baby chicken ran through my spokes in Waimanalo.

I sometimes wonder if functional drunks are unable to function when sober. Apparently I cannot drive while off the sugar.

I banned myself from anything with wheels for the rest of the day. While the trend seems to be going toward smaller and smaller animals, I just can't risk running over another critter. Pamela Anderson and her PETA friends might come beat me down with an overinflated breast or some barbed wire.

I'm half way through day three of healthy eating. I'm tracking calories to make sure I'm getting enough - it's hard without the junk. I got some great advice via comments and email - you guys rock. I haven't run over any animals today. Yet. I struggled through my speed workout this morning, but I don't think I can blame my pace on lack of sugar. More likely it has something to do with a running year that looks like this:

Yep, those are miles on the y-axis. I covered more miles the 40 weeks I was pushing two in a baby jogger while carting one in my uterus. Pathetic. But the first hard workouts back are always killers.. I'm patient.

20 comments:

  1. No Sugar???? I'm already out and didn't even start the challenge ;-) Right before we moved from CO I stopped during a ride to let a mommy duck and her nine, YES NINE, ducklings cross a busy street. It was super cute but they were not stuck in my wheel, yikes.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am not giving up coffee..... just cutting down. To give up sugar! Who nelly! That's hard core sister! But coconuts ..... that's darn quick thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work rachel! I have to admit that I would probably have ventured over to get dark chocolate. But I am a once piece is good kind of girl! :) Email me if you want me to send you any recipes. I have tons!
    LCotter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rach, you are stinkin' hilarious! Ben said you're hot.

    Coconuts... that is classic! If you happen to capture a mongoose I really want it, I have been trying to catch one for almost 6 years (save it for me unless it is road kill).

    And I am with Lindsay, email me if you want some recipes... I so wish I was done with my cook book, I would send you the first copy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would do the exact same thing in Costco. I know I'm not strong enough to resist temptation if it's in front of me so I go to great lengths to avoid temptation.

    And don't worry about Pam Anderson and Peta. Last time we were in Hawaii she and Tommy were in our hotel and trust me, there's no way she could come close to catching you to beat you with an inflated breast. I've never seen someone who could sit in a lounge chair for entire days like she can

    ReplyDelete
  6. That mileage graph looks amazingly similar to mine!

    I go through phases with the eating- but I'm with you in that I never can seem to get in enough calories without the crap.

    Does 'natural' peanut butter count? I love the Skippy Natural Super-Chunk, no oil like some brands, but still only basically peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stop laughing.. I must go from this site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read somewhere that your heart pumps more efficiently when you're preggers because of the increase in blood volume, or some such nonsense. I think it's all a ruse to encourage women to keep having the babies.

    Congrats on the self control with the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww poor coconut, that's a bummer :(.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It can't be the sugar because Lord knows since Timberman (which I only sherpa'd not competed) I've eaten more than my share of truffles, 100 calorie snack pacs of chocolate covered pretzels, ice cream with 'low fat' chocolate sauce, you name it! Yet yesterday I rode my bike back in the park and hit some poor elderly man knocking him straight to the pavement!
    Talk about feeling bad....

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi, don't know if i've actually commented before but ive read yoru blog a bunch. andthat was fucking hilarious. somehow, it's way entertaining when you decide to give up sugar, but not so much if i did

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Costco samples. It's one of my favorite places to go :)
    Funny my most consistent weeks seemed to be while I was pregnant and pushing the double jog stroller...while my husband was in Iraq. go figure? Who needs a babysitter when you have them strapped down! Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm san rafael. when did you go to cal?

    chicago was an interesting race. i saw you kicked ass last year!

    (PS. i get confused by comments on blogs, where are you suppose to respond, here or there. i never know)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stay away from the sugar, and eat more than a cliff bar on a ride...or at least eat more after the ride. I know that group of cats, they used to scare my dog when I lived over there, we'd have to cross the street when we got to the gully or poor Harley wouldn't run. We should find sometime to make those thrive bars and stuff to get us through the next 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i seriously think you are my long lost big (well taller...) sister..

    i have actually figured out that if you go to Costco after about 8pm, the sample ladies have all gone home and you can shop without distractions (mini-binges)...

    you are a PETA nightmare on wheels. and i like ramsey's sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A bird hit our window the other day and I lied and told Emma that it was a ball that hit our window. (I know, lame, but I had no think time). She went outside and found the dead bird. Now Emma thinks I killed it... PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. p.s. Phaedra is about to launch her website www.freshmadeeasy.com on Friday. She has a blurb up now with one killer recipe. This girl has some amazing recipes on there that are delicious, easy, and healthy. You've GOT to check it out. I'm happy to say that she needed a taste tester for some of her recipes. Someone had to do it... I am such a good friggin' friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hit a dove while driving once. Yeah, I felt pretty horrible after reducing the symbol of peace to pulp and feathers with my carbon-spewing death mobile. Sheesh. (Btw, there are no brakes on track bikes! You control everything with the drivetrain/pedals.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in pain just thinking about your health kick. Life is too short to cut out sugar....AND peanut butter m&m's (i agree that they are HARD to stay away from). I say just give in! :)

    ReplyDelete