Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Summer... continued.

Seems it was just yesterday that I was complaining about school being out. Today is the first day of school. Three kids all in one place.. oh, the simplicity! Kindergarten, 2nd and 3rd grade, here they come. Henry would like the world to see his giant front teeth. And his tonsils, apparently.

To celebrate the end of summer.. we're going to extend summer.  Tonight we head to Chicago. Mom of the Year here planned a week trip to my parents' city without consulting the school calendar. Oops. On the agenda we have Shedd Aquarium, Lincoln Park Zoo, Cubs, Sox, and long runs around the folks' hood keeping an eye out for their neighbor Barack. I also intend to hop on ELF's wheel and get pulled around Chicago's burbs (I never promised I would work, Liz.) The last time I visited Chicago, CY and I duked it out on Lake Shore Drive.. the Chicago Triathlon is so much fun! I wish I was traveling to race, but the legs are not yet ready. This is me last visit.. hurting.. and running so scared from that girl with her Y-name on her butt.

Yeah, I know, violent arm-crossover and hideous heel-strike. But check out that view of the city!

As we head out to catch the 8 hour red-eye to Chicago, I will leave y'all with one last cruise photo. Last one, ever. I swear. Sara took this of my brother Tommy and cousin Ross late one night. No, they're not dating. I'm unsure of what exactly it is Tommy is trying to do to Ross, but that's none of my business really. If Sara had hair long enough to reach the front of the camera, I would call the white stuff hair. But it looks freakishly like hands holding Tommy up. And there's no way it could have been hair.

19 comments:

  1. I tell ya what--if I had arms that looked like yours, I'd be swinging 'em all over the place, raising the roof, doing the YMCA dance. Dare to dream...
    have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh ooooh ooooh, can I come? I'd rather try valiantly to keep up w/ you guys on the bike than ride 70 miles in the Blue Ridge.
    Have a great time in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have so much fun in Chicago Rach. Say hi to ELF for me...

    XO,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure you are ready for this, RR? My husband says "when does that tall girl get into town." The bike is waiting. And so is my little dog. We will send Paul mixed messages and blow up his Blackberry all weekend long with lies about each other. Then we will laugh about it over coffee. You did make time for coffee on that killer agenda, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great trip in the making. I'm sure they'll miss you at Steelhead, but you have bigger fish to fry come October.

    Too funny about the Chicago race last year...I wish there was a way to let you know I was dying behind you and you had nothing to worry about- You could have spend more time enjoying the scenery!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have violent arm-crossover, too! I've been trying to correct it for the better part of 20 years, but nothing seems to work. Have a great time in Chicago - it's a great time of year there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great time in Chicago! ELF's wheel is indeed tough to hang on to!! And by the way - your kids are so dang cute. If I was assured of having kids that cute I wouldn't hesitate... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So let me get this straight...your kids' school is in session, but instead of having them there - you are voluntarily brining them on vacation...after school JUST started? Are you feeling ok? I think all of that tanning and vacationing with your husband made you LOOSE YOUR MIND!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greece, Italy, Chicago - you travel as often as Bree does races. Hope you have a comfortable journey and good opportunities to train when in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tell the ELF that you REALLY want to drive up to Steelhead on Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought we were the earliest headed back to school! I can't believe your kids are already back! Have a lot of fun in Chicago. And that white stuff does look freakishly like hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kids start school NOW?????? WTF????????? Enjoy Chicago and tell your fam to move to NY so we can hang!

    :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have fun here! It's supposed to be hot as hell this weekend but given you live in Hawaii maybe you won't notice. Maybe you can stop by Lalalapalooza.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry Rach that was my delete up above...some reason I thought you were racing this weekend and here I am wishing you good luck for the made up race I have in my crazy head:)
    Have fun on your family trip...I am doing the same thing for the Louisville IM..My kids go to school ONE day and then yip we are on the road for KY!!!
    You look kick a$$ in that race photo.....I would be SCARED :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are quite the traveler recently. I am jealous. The tattoo says "do good things" in Thai.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have fun, just don't get arrested for stalking the Obama's.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how Skye is scrunched into the picture in between her big brothers and it doesn't seem to bother her one bit!
    I was just about to get in the water for my race on Sunday and I turned around to wave good bye to Lelia and what do I spy? A little dress with no undies!!! When you figure out the secret to get the undies on, let me know!
    Have a fun trip to Chicago.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you called us last night after our group ride that flowed with testosterone so much we almost threw up. I sent you an email this AM with directions to the swim race tomorrow. I love it how I get everyone suckered into swim races when they visit chicago. See you in the morning...I think you are seeing Elizabeth today. Have fun! Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad you found Starbucks. Whew. I can rest easy now.

    ReplyDelete