Tuesday, July 8, 2008

No more Mrs. Invincible.

My answer used to be Sure, whatever. Want to try these new running shoes? Heck yea. I'm going to raise your seat a few centimeters. Sounds good. Keep me company on my 20 miler? Fun! I ran in whatever shoes were prettiest, I played with my bike position whenever I wanted to try something new. When coaching a marathon clinic last fall I accidentally ran 30 miles one Wednesday. Whatever. I like to think that I'm agreeable.

If nothing else, six months of injury has taught me much. Gone are the days of running in shoes with 1200 miles on them because they're lucky. And orange. Part of being an athlete is taking good care of oneself. 

Today I finally did the big bike fit. About a thousand or so miles after Clem arrived on my doorstep. I have cheapness issues and five-hour bike fits don't come cheap. I am calling it an investment in my health. I went to Mike McMahon, who fit Katherine and Amy during Kona training last year. He's a PhD in physiology, he coached his wife to Olympic gold in 2000, and has had IT band syndrome. He has many more credentials, but those were enough for me. I now have a more open hip angle, a seat that's 2cm higher yet still only middle of the range for knee angle, my knees are traveling less (whatever that means) and am generating power more efficiently. The Dr. at work:

Added bonus: I think we found a saddle that won't make me cry. I've tried so many: Terry Butterfly, Adamo, Blackwell Flow, Glamour Assache, Profile Murderer, Fizik Arione.. all have led to nancy-girl whimpering three hours into a ride. Unfortunately the new Selle SMP Pro is purplish-blue in color, kind of like a bad bruise. It's reminds me a bit of that mini-Eiffel Tower Meg Ryan taunted Kevin Kline with in French Kiss. It looks a little sad.

I will try out the new position in the morning, in lieu of a planned run, because my legs are telling me they aren't quite recovered from the last run. And because on my fridge it says: Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments. It's no coincidence I hang this on the peanut m&m home. It applies to taking care of myself as well.. as tempting as it is to get in one more run before I jump on the plane tonight, I will wait for Venice. I have running shoes, shorts and a jogbra in my carryon, ready to run.

20 comments:

  1. I like the purple seat...

    have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip. hope the bike fit works out really well for you. Running in Venice sounds wonderful!!!!
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Runnign camp in Venice! WOO HOO! This saddle looks hilarious, but who gives a F*** it work! Kudos to you for being Mrs. Careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having BAD seat issues and was next going to try the Adamo. I'm bummed to hear you didn't like that one either. Such a freaking pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the running tour of Venice, it's the best way to see a city in my opinion!

    Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clem looks happy in the hands of the doctor...She's going to be good to you, I just know it! Have a great trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wacky - I have major saddle issues too (and tried all the ones you did: Blackwell Flow, Adamo, etc), and the Selle SMP Stratos just arrived at my door yesterday. I try it out tomorrow! Here's hoping Selle SMP are the perfect saddles for girls recovering from ITBS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is your body will be thanking you later for your investment!!!!

    Let us know what you think of that seat and enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SMART GIRL! Lessons learned and learned well.
    OMG..I have that saddle..it's banging around in drawer. It just didn't work for me. Those edges.. they PINCHED! Good luck with it. Everyone is different and what works for one, doesn't for another. Same with goggles. Sounds like you got a SWEET fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a safe and wonderful trip! I'll be anxious to hear how your new and improved bike fit goes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you! Exciting trip awaits....Have a blast and travel safe! You'll be even MORE excited to ride upon your return;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can sympathize with the saddle issues - until this year I have tried many seats and hated biking because of it. I actually like the Adamo saddle and am going to stick to it for now - the Selle SMP Pro was actually going to be the next saddle I tried if the Adamo didn't work out!

    Great that you got a professional bike fit! One of these days I will too. Have an AWESOME vacation and enjoy it! Good luck on continuing to build up your running - baby steps is definitely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. have a fabulous vacation! eat delicious food, wear cruise wear and real people clothes (non-athlete clothes)...
    and watch out for the Ouzo!

    let us know how the bike fit works out when you get back.

    p.s.- french kiss is THE BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray for bike fits! And I LOVE "French Kiss" - hilarious. Fingers crossed for a good saddle - we all know how important that is. Safe travels and enjoy your trip! (AND - congrats on the run. Woo Hoo!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That saddle looks so scary (but I LOVE the color)... I hope it is the best most coolest saddle you have ever tried! Fingers crossed!

    I wish you were going to Canada...I am bummin'... I need my Hawaii partner SO much... BUT I don't think coach, the other girls, or Canada can handle 2 Hawaii girls at once... Actually, I doubt anyone can!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rach, good job on finally getting to that fit! I am sure it will work wonders. And that saddle is funny looking, but who am I to say, with that darn Adamo I am riding on. LOL. I actually am starting to like the Adamo. Oh and tell Wee, we can handle 2 HI girls, no prob ;-) Actually what Wee doesn't know is that you and I would be driving her nuts with our shopping ;-) HEHE!

    XO,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  17. A saddle that won't make you cry is a HUGE plus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are clearly talented at your chosen sport and are prepared to go to any lengths to succeed. So it should not be a surprise if you have some incredible performances. All the best on the cruise and beyond that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never posted on your site-just been reading it for little while. But would love to hear what you end up thinking about this saddle. I haven't found a comfortable one yet but I haven't heard or seen this one and it looks like it could solve my saddle issues. -Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, that saddle does look sad...but i hope it makes you happy! and i also hope that you are having a fantastic trip right now...
    GG did two one week trips to Europe in the 10 weeks prior to IM CdA and never took his bike and didn't do much when he was there and i think the breaks worked out well for him ;)(meanwhile, it nearly killed me)

    ReplyDelete