Thursday, July 24, 2008

Whoa, Nelly.

A bonk isn't usually worth writing about. It happens sometimes. Usually when I underestimate how long I'll be out, or how hard I'll be working. Strongman Japan last spring was my first bonk. For some blonde reason I packed enough food for 200 cal/hr on the bike. I have a bad habit of running marathons or doing halves on one gel, so I figured I'd make it. Ha! I was s-c-r-e-w-e-d. I ran out of gas 80 miles in. Everything was flashing. I fell off of my bike in T2 and couldn't stand up. Yes, I thought of the old lady with the button who had fallen and couldn't get up. I wobbled into my shoes and asked the international RD to find me as much food as possible. He handed me a paper plate full of stuff I had never seen before, piled as high as Ramsey's plate of eggs benny at Sunday Brunch. I shoveled it all in, recovered.. and vowed to learn how to say the word hospital in Japanese before racing there again.

Today's bonk, however, was new territory. I rode the trainer last night, showered and put my still jet-lagged self in bed without eating. In the hustle to pick up the sitter and get out the door, I skipped breakfast (but not coffee, of course.) I forget breakfast 75% of the time anyway, so I didn't worry about it. My bike was loaded up with Infinit, and I took in 300 cals in the first hour of long Z3 intervals. And promptly fell apart. In Waimanalo, with the climb up Makapuu, Heartbreak, and the evil road I live on still looming. I almost tipped over on Makapuu. When I reached my road, I got off and walked. Rudy the mailman saw me. I could see my house.. so near.. and thought about calling the sitter to come get me. Who cares if she's 15, she can probably operate a car for 200 yards to come save me! The saddest part? It was a 40 mile ride. And I ate! There was a 300 lb. woman walking along my street smoking who could have kicked my ass today.

The upside of the bonk was the mixing bowl full of frosted miniwheats and soy milk that was practically required the instant I walked in the door.. man, I missed sugar.

Saturday is race three of the North Shore Swim Series, Chun's to Waimea. A two-mile open water race, followed by a 50 mile ride home. I'll be the girl on the orange pack-mule along Kam Hwy.. if you see me lying down on the shoulder in Kahaluu, please return me to evil hill road in Hawaii Kai. I have some serious training to do.

12 comments:

  1. So you were confused about why you bonked after a long afternoon workout and then pretty much not eating for 18 hours... hmmm... can't say it surprises me :)

    I read an article recently that stated that bonking is something that is good to do once in awhile. That way you know when it's coming on. I don't know if that philosophy always works. For example, I know that I should not drink and drive, but I try not to test 'why' I shouldn't. Or wondering if I am good at Russian Roulette... you get the idea. Or, if I think I can grow a mustache. There are just some things you avoid because they suck.

    But I have to say that when you ride, or run, and you experience the bonk, you really feel like you accomplished something. Not something that you necessarily want to do again, but you knew you maxed out what your body could do with what it had.

    Nice work and good luck this weekend!

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like an adventure! luckily, i have never bonked cause it sounds like it sucks - i get way too cranky if i go too long without eating. that being said, i have been known to eat a powerbar or a bag of gummi bears or clif bloks within the first 3 minutes of my ride - just because -so i always carry $$ so i can stop and get more snacks.

    good luck at the swim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it sick and wrong that i am almost jealous of your bonk?...bonking seems cool to me because you have to be working hard or have done something cool and bonk-worthy. big girls bonk...
    and heck, what's not worth going through to get to a delicious bowl of sugar cereal?!
    congratulations on making it through! sounds brutal! i wonder if your babysitter thinks you are crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am eating frosted mini wheats as I read this feeling guilty that I didn't earn them with a bonk :)

    Good luck in your swim race/ride home. Make sure to eat some breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just met with the nutritionist in anticipation of my workouts getting longer and more intense. Time to up those calories, baby! I am horrible about eating b'fast too, but ALWAYS manage to make the coffe. My bonks are ugly--last time I was running downhill and totally tripped and gave myself a good road rash on the knee, hands, and hip. Tell you what, I'll call you to remind you to eat if you'll do the same for me...
    Oh, and it looks like the hubby will have to shave the head. ACK! Don't worry, you are not to blame. No S&K menswear in HI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didnt your mother ever tell you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? ;)

    No only that but cereal is YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. RACH, Oooo Coach is going to be so mad! Ok, I won't tell. He got mad at me for the same reason at the 1/2. I took in only one bottle of cyto during the bike, only because the one aid station we had, had water bottles without lids and i spilled it all over the place. oops. ok, go get some more food and recover well.

    Can't wait to see you in 10 weeks ;-) shopping!!

    E

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are total opposites! I am the calorie queen and if I miss breakfast everyone would hate me (Oscar the grouch!) Sometimes I think a calorie low-down would be a good thing for my bum... and my gut... and those 6 unwanted pounds... but I just can't say no. we need to ride together to balance my over-fueling and your under-fueling... man we might just be fast if we teamed up!!!

    BEST to you on that swim and ride... you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine missing breakfast (or any meal for that matter - I always need to eat) but I am terrible at getting enough calories in while on the bike. Bonking in the IMoo marathon was a horrible experience and lesson learned. Good to get those experiences out of your system while training instead of in October.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this absolutely reminds me I need to eat tonight after my long run. Last swim race I was looking for brunch at the 2nd buoy after not eating dinner the night before! Make sure you eat tomorrow AM. See you up there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What?????Coffee not consider breakfast???? That is mine too!! I get sick if I eat in the morning!! So is the husband soft as a baby butt yet,,,,did you have to hold him down???

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like it sucks. I had a similar experience this week as well, though it was heat related. I guess we live and learn. :) Good luck with your race! Eat... and you'll do amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete