Monday, July 14, 2008

Just cruisin.


Dad, brother, husband.

You know how people send you links to their vacation photos and there are something like a 1261 photos with no captions of things and places you don’t recognize and you’re bored by number 36 and whip back an email Wow! Looks like a fun trip. 

Well, the Hawaii/Georgia/Cali/Illinois Shaplands, as in my immediate family, have decreed that there will be no boring photos. Which means that scenery photos must include something embarrassing or ridiculous.

Split, Croatia, was all stone buildings, palace ruins, red roofs, beaches and the prettiest farmers market ever. We hiked up to a mountain to look down on the city (that counts as an hour run, right Coach?)  We swam at the local beach (there’s my open water swim, Coach!) We must have walked 10 miles and I did more math than I have since high school trying to convert Kuna to Euro to the lame dollar.

We met an old Croatian man with no teeth in the Palace who told us he would show us something no one has seen. I was sure he was going to take us around the corner and drop trou. He was rather drunk, led us around in circles and then sat down to pass out on the marble sidewalk.

Now we are cruising. The Florida Shaplands, some of my favorite people on Earth, who actually make me consider racing Clearwater again, finally arrived after 36 hours of delays & travel hell. They made the boat in Split by 5 minutes. No luggage, but who cares if you wearing head to toe gift-shop fashion when you’re at the pool bar? Lots of sitting by the pool & karaoke (spectating, I know my weaknesses) before we arrive in Santorini tomorrow.

FL cousins with me.. at one of the many bars.

5 comments:

  1. wait, is embarrassing left up to the men only?? next time you'd better do something for the photo that'll make us blush ... or at least avert our eyes in horror.

    glad you're having fun!

    cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree we want to see some crazy goofy Rach photo's instead of looking like super model in all your photo's :) I do have to say you look a little buzzed...in the photo above and you are like me..get a couple of drinks in me and my smile is HUGE too:) HAPPY GIRL:) Keep the photo's a comin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, your little bro is cute, is he single?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is no one questioning the fact that you actually followed the drunk, croatian man with no teeth? If he did drop trou, I'm gonna say that would have been a traumatic image that could have stayed with you the entire trip.

    For your sake, I'm glad he passed out.

    Keep up the good work!
    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes- i'm way into family funny/embarrasing pictures as well...just posted some as a matter of fact.
    you better step up your game, girl!!

    sounds like the med is FAB! have fun...i promise you'll be karaoke-ing by day 4 on that mother ship.

    ReplyDelete