Thursday, July 17, 2008

Triathlon Training - cruise style.



Hawaii got uglier the minute the sun rose over Santorini. I was running the 1/4 mi track on the deck (20 laps is my max) when I first saw it. Photos don’t do it justice. R & I rented a scooter and covered most of the island. He drove, because the last time I tried I was 14 and I crashed it into the lone palm tree in the giant empty field. We had Frappe in Oia while oohing and ahhing over each little church and villa, then gyros on Kamari beach on the south east side of the island, where I almost went swimming. The water is cornflower blue.

 I’m not one to post my weekly workouts on the blog, but I thought I would try to inspire my fellow Kona-bound readers with my intense schedule. Please don’t be intimidated by all the hours I put in, what’s right for one athlete is not always right for everyone.

 I walked up this hill once.

Dodging donkeys made the hill walk more interesting than most hills I’ve done. Does going up in the morning and back down in the afternoon a repeat make?

Here I wore my triathlon team visor while holding my helmet in Oia. Granted the scooter helmet isn’t very aero, but I felt almost like I was going to ride a bike.

While in Corfu, Greece, I considered swimming:

Got close here, note the goggles near my right hand.. then fell asleep.

Practiced some heat acclimation (100 degrees!), refueling and recovering in Kusadasi & Ephesus, Turkey:



Tomorrow we are cruising.  I am considering an 11 am spin class, depending upon how late the evening goes. Thirty five minutes of german techno has got to count for something..

13 comments:

  1. Aren't Santorini and Ephesus just the most amazing places? Sounds like vacation is a blast. I can definitely keep that kind of workout schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure I hate you now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God you found the MECCA (starbucks) I was beginning to worry you'd soon go through withdrawal. And now... after reading this I am completley unsure if my preperations for Placid are adequate. I'd better head out on my scooter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't take the donkey up the hill??!! That's cheating.
    So glad you're having a blast, and german techno counts as two workouts--one for your legs, the other for your ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So jealous. And your training looks fantastic. Except for the laps on the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, memories. On our honeymoon, we rented scooters and toured Santorini......I have to say, that was my favorite day of the entire trip. I am really excited to see that you are having such a great time. See? no stress! right?

    All seems to be going well and the pictures are breathtaking. Thanks for sharing your trip, it's fun to check in on you while you're SO far away.

    XO,
    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like the perfect training:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to make it up! And goggles count for something. :) Love the scooter helmet - that says it all! GREAT pictures - I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easy Rachel...Don't strain yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is some funny stuff, you hooking your brother up!?!?!?? I don't even know how to respond, LOL!!!:) But let's say that I am actually applying to UCDavis for Phys. Asst schools. Really ? email. How I wonder does he feel about this?:) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you are getting all that great training in while you are enjoying your trip! HA! Great pics and great post yet again.

    ReplyDelete