Thursday, June 4, 2009

just another week..

Yesterday I was invited out to lunch by a rather dirty man. He may not have been homeless, but he was definitely shower and laundry-less. I saw him waving at me from across the street, then he got the light and I got stuck. It was either die in Queen Street traffic or stand and see what he had to say. He asked quite politely, Have you had lunch yet? I had, so I said yes, I have, thank you for asking. And he said, would you like to have another lunch, with me? and I replied, no thank you. My evil work girlfriends say I should have called his bluff.. would he really have taken me out to lunch? This story has nothing to do with anything, really, except that it made me wonder if my ripped skinny jeans look all cool like cameron diaz's or if I just appeal to a dirtier set.

Ten days until I have to leap off of a boat into the San Francisco Bay to race Escape from Alcatraz. I lived in Berkeley and San Fran for 8 years. I never once put more than a toe in the water. And even that toe was by accident. It was too cold to even consider. I have swam in the California ocean three times: twice in Oceanside 70.3, and once, when 7 months pregnant with henry, sporting a 40 lb layer of blubber and an additional heartbeat to keep me warm, on Catalina Island. This race might kill me.

But who really cares..  because in my four days in San Francisco, I will get to spend lots of time with my brothers Peter and Tommy, and we're going to a Cake show (turn on the sound!) because that's a smart pre-race activity. Tommy and I have been to many a Cake show. Once, while nearing my due date with Wyatt, I had a great space in the very front of the Warfield because all of the other Cake-lovers were afraid of hitting the pregnant lady. Another time, at a bar in Petaluma, I made makeshift earplugs for which ever newborn I was wearing in the sling.. can't wait for California!

Kids are home.. safe and sound.. here they are with their friends Reece and Malia..

10 comments:

  1. oh man, i thought you were actually going to a show where they eat cake. and i was very concerned how i didn't know about this.

    the swim's not that bad, really, its the jumping off the boat with 1000 of your closest friends i'm worried about. you can go first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK! The hardest part of that swim, from what I understand, is the total shock of the cold since you get no warmup time.

    Have a great trip! I'd come up and cheer for you but I'll be hauling my butt up to Boise to race the same weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake rocks! You are super lucky. From the looks of you I would say you definitely attract the cleanliness-challenged - you know what they say, "Birds of a feather." (ha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Cake.

    Have fun in San Francisco. Good luck with that swim. I will never be brave enough to do one of the truly cold water swim races. Just the thought of that water makes me want to jump in a warm shower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY - the kidlets are back!!!
    as for the whole alcatraz thing, aren't there great whites in that bay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cake show, yay!!! The best part of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he was tricking you. He was asking you out, but was expecting you to pick-up the bill. Well, that is how I do it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Escape and cake?
    Sounds like a great time.
    good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I, a serious novice of open water swimming, was able to splash around in those waters then you will rock this race!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cake!! That was my very first concert. . .my high school best friend & I had fake ID's made so that we could get into the 18 & over show. We also managed to hustle our way up front & convinced ourselves that the opening band was TOTALLY into us; )

    ReplyDelete