Thursday, June 11, 2009

Off like a prom dress.

I have this song stuck in my head.. I'm gonna see the folks I dig, I'll even kiss a sunset pig, California coming home.. not that California is my home, but after 8 years there, I'm always so happy to visit. And Joni Mitchell always pops into my mind when I land at SFO. My brothers are drawing straws to see who has to pick me up at 6 am tomorrow. Tommy is currently here, but he flies a little earlier than me. Sky enjoyed his visit:
Friday was supposed to be about a little ride/swim and settling into the condo in the Marina that Jeff was kind enough to loan to Katherine and I. Five blocks to the race finish line! But instead, Friday will be about fixing my bike. I had a girl moment and messed up lefty-loosey and righty-tighty, snapping the screw in the wedge that holds my bike seat in place. Oops. Oh well, I thought, I'll call Tristan (Timex manager) and ask him to send me a new screw. He tells me he'll work it out with Trek. Not ten minutes later, Mark Andrews from Trek engineering calls me. That screw? The one that I broke in half? It just ruined the entire frame. A new one is being shipped, and a bike shop was found in SF to get me up and running tomorrow. I am such an ass. And I am so lucky to have Timex and Trek to make up for my assinine behavior.

So back to the trip. First things first - Cake is Friday night in Sonoma. I heart John McCrea.

Then comes Saturday, with all the pre-race jazz, definitely a swim in the bay to attempt to get used to the water.. and then it's on:

I could lie and say I care, but really, if I don't get eaten by a shark the race will be enough of a success for me. I just want to enjoy the ride/run and all the tri people. I think the swim is 30-40 min of cold, then we run a mile (yea! take that, swimmer people!), then we bike for an hour or so, then we run for an hour or so. Or so I've been told.

After the race, I'm Berkeley-bound. I don't know why, sometimes I roll through the bay area without any interest in seeing Berkeley. But lately I miss it. There is a lot going on in life that's too personal for the blog, but makes me sentimental about college days, and the early days of our new family, back in the East Bay. Guinevere and I, who were such besties in high school that we had to go to college together, are going to head over and wander around on Sunday. Things on the list:

  • Intermezzo salad
  • Cafe Mediterranee
  • the bench at the top of the fire trail
  • Mather Redwood Grove
  • a millet muffin at Rick and Ann's
  • Mars for clothes
  • a wander through campus
  • a cocktail at Henrys
  • digging at Amoeba (there's always more Neil Young out there..)




I get all day Monday as well to wander around the city, then head home Monday night. No computer time, but I'll bring back lots of photos.. I gave up and bought a new memory card.

19 comments:

  1. Enjoy your trip and have fun jumping off the boat into the coldness! I agree with your definition of triathlon success as defined by surviving the swim...especially if the possibility of sharks exist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, sounds like you found the Achilles heel of your frame.
    Good luck and swim fast.
    Enjoy the mini vaca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun and good luck at the race. Can't wait to see the photos. Berkeley looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah!! I hope you kill it at the race! I swam at SF Aquatic Park last weekend and it wasn't *that* cold. And this is coming from someone who thinks swimming in San Diego requires a wetsuit year-round :).

    If you're Berkeley-bound, gimme a holler! (slw013@gmail.com) I'm headed out to Santa Cruz this weekend for a hippie campout (Raindance Festival), but will be home on Sunday.

    I can see why you're reminiscent about living here in Berkeley. I don't think I will ever leave...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The faster you swim the warmer you'll be!!! Hope that is true!!! Have a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go girl, go! Have a great weekend. Sending good vibes to you on Sunday...
    ps: this is a perfect example of why I don't even TRY to do anything with my bike other than pedal. Being mechanically self-sufficient is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Zachary's pizza? If you do, it's only a block or two from my house. So weird to read your Berkeley to do list and realize I live it everyday. Rachel, you're gonna have a blast at Escape. I'll see you out there, am gonna try and take pics or videos. And yes, you're damn lucky to have Timex, I think most of us would not be racing if something similar happened. Must be nice to be popular and special. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great trip and a great race. Can't wait to hear how the swim was. Don't believe Jill - if it's cold enough you will never get warm. (That has to be the least encouraging thing I could say. I really don't know what my problem is.) Sorry to hear about the bike - glad to hear you have an awesome support squad. Go fast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was going to offer you my extra bike if you cant get your fixed but i realized you're like a foot taller than me. dont worry, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck at Alcatraz and have a really fun trip! SF is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This trip sounds so perfect, it is just for you! I love how you are just going to do a race because you like to race and nothing more... kind of encouraged about that right now.

    I hope you enjoy your time with the bestie and cruising Berkley... make some more memories and smile lots, you deserve it RACH!! Now you have me wanting to just go back to my roots for a weekend too...

    Have a good race and stay warm!
    Bree

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great trip Rachel! Sounds like so much fun. And of course, best of luck in the race. You will rock it - I have no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you really break your bike? If I did that I'd just use it as an excuse to never bike again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. gotta love the mile run to transition. go get 'em ross. and have a blast in cali...
    good talking to you tonight :)
    -b

    ReplyDelete
  15. have fun and watch out for sharks!!! i love the "ha, ha swimmers" comment...use that long run!!
    fun fact of the day: joni mitchell is from my hometown and went to my highschool(well before me, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, NOT getting eaten by a shark is cause enough for celebration for me :) Enjoy the race and HAVE FUN! I LOVE it!!! Oh - and have a blast bummin' around Berkley - lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so would do that to my bike to! Whoops! Good luck, hope you don't get eaten by a shark or freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Intermezzo changed hands - it was as good the last time I ate there but I'm worried. Did you get there? What's your take?

    ReplyDelete