Sunday, May 31, 2009

Saturday in pictures.

Pre-biathlon, early in the morning at Club Day with Katy, the RD of the huge event..

The start line was packed. Katherine and Anthony fought for the best place to line up.

We're off.. up and over diamond head and back

And we're back.. and all the boys seem to have gotten lost somewhere back there..

We've always wanted to tie for the win. Dale, the beach boys, and half of the outrigger now think we're a couple. Next time we purposefully tie, we're totally not going to hold hands. Really.

An hour later, it was time for the paddleboard race, twice each, out and back through Old Mans, which had some good-sized surf. I've never surfed on a paddleboard before.. so I got some quick pre-race tips from the experts: scooch back, drag your feet.. um, ok. My second trip back I got a big one and rode the whole way in without having to paddle, which really is the way to race.. paddle a bit, catch wave, sit and watch the sights fly by..



Katherine and I won the paddleboard race. It helped that there were no other girls. But had there been, I'm pretty sure we maybe would have beat them. 

Then it was off to the dive boat, and to see the infamous Doctor Pfeffer. That's Katja in the foreground.. she was the designated boat babe. The dive was gorgeous, and a barracuda swam right up and checked Katja and I out while we did a little safety stop. It was so pretty.




Then came the drinking. One cocktail an hour is a great plan.. except when you start at 2 pm and finish 8 hours later, that's actually a lot of booze.

There may have been some swimming. At night. Which made me sing that lame REM song Night swimming, swimming at night.. most creative song ever.  I can't remember the last time I swam in the ocean at night.. must have been during high school, when we'd surf on full moon nights.

I think Katja got a hold of the camera while Macy and I were jumping off of the canoes. She must have been trying to capture the setting. Because here is the ground:

and here is the night. And those are the last two pics on the camera.

11 comments:

  1. That is a perfect day. Love the last two photos. Vere, hm, creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have so preferred your day. My day consisted of a marathon and although fun, not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure who that guy is getting out of the water, but Hello, Mr. Arms. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like much more fun than that overrated sport on the other island going on. You and Katherine crack me up. The pic coming out of the water looks like you both have the EXACT body build! So funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those last two pics are pure art!

    great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oahu is definitely stepping up the game on fun activities... Big Island needs to take note! Loved your Saturday...

    Hey, today in the doctor I was thinking how in the world do you not get sick more often with 3x the kids that I have! (As Kainoa is wiping snot on me now...).

    Night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That day looks AMAZING!!! That pic of you and Kathering coming out of the water holding hands is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really make me miss Oahu. I have been catching up on the race scene since I left through your blog. I raced some tri races but I was the cyclist that never could swim. I think I did a few races with you but you were always so far ahead:) I paddled with the beach boys for a year and had so much fun. Anyway just racing bikes now and getting my fill with the water sports through you and Bree. My husband and I hope to be back soon, we kept our house there. In the meantime I will keep dreaming here in Tucson, with negative water. Keep up the great pics and posts.
    Spring

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's not KATY B. is it? From another one who used to live on O'ahu...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome time, love those suits.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete