Sunday, June 7, 2009

North Shore Triathlon

Races on the North Shore mean waking up really, really early. But they are so worth it. Today was the first of this year's North Shore races. The sprint tri out at Mokuleia is probably the shortest race on the island, takes us over really pretty reef (in some instances really, really shallow pretty reef), out for 10 miles to the local high school and back on the bike, and down to Kaena Point and back for a 3 mile run. I had some mishaps on the swim - first the paddleboarder lifeguard, who I know from water polo but whose name I forgot, paddled right across in front of me in the first 100 m. I had to dive down under him. He was helping someone back in who was struggling, so that was much more important than my swim, but it threw me off some. After the turn around I followed the girl in front of me towards the wrong end of the beach before realizing she was lost, making a 90 degree turn, and heading back on course. I made up any time lost on the long run back to transition along the beach and think I made it to the mat first, with a 9:00 swim. 

Ingrid was racing, and we ride together enough to know how closely matched we are. She passed me quickly and after that we just took turns leading the race. I asked how she liked my wedgie.. I wasn't being friendly, it was a race tactic - making her slower by laughing. On the way back we gave up and just staggered it, passing and re-passing one another. 

I think I'm happiest with my T2 - 19 seconds. I was hurting on the run and wishing it was over within 2 minutes, which means I was running well. I checked at the turn around and had nearly a minute on Ingrid, and just tried to maintain good form and hold the pace on the way back. I managed to run exactly what I did in the 5k two weeks ago - 18:25, for a time of 54:00. I love short sprints! It was really fun.

Chris's races on the North Shore are so mellow. There was great food, bike and gear giveaways.. and we were on the road again by 9 am. Great morning.

My brother Tom is in town, the youngest of the five of us, so we spent most of the day at the beach.. Tommy sporting a post it note on his back that Sky insisted he wear that read "I'm a gerl." He's a nice uncle.

I would post pictures, but my camera is haunted. It went from holding 300 photos to holding one. And only a certain one, of Doc Pfeffer and his grandson. Maybe if I post it on the blog, it'll stop haunting my camera? Here's Roger and grandson Liam. Roger taught me to dive when I was 14, and I still jump on the boat whenever possible. Last weekend he told my friend Katja she could come back any time, and bring what's-her-face if she likes, pointing in my general direction. 

There, camera, are you happy now?


8 comments:

  1. fun stuff!! congrats on the race~
    tn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good race there.
    even with a couple mishaps.
    might need a new memory card for your camera...or an exorcism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the race - GREAT run legs!!! :) Um, yeah - I agree about the camera exorcism. Both of them look a little too grim for my liking. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great race and good luck with the camera exorcism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 18:25 5k! very nice, Rach.

    I am always having camera issues! This morning I tried to capture what was left of the fallen tree on the White House lawn during my commute to work... but NO, NO MEMORY CARD. cripes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want to do some local races...
    Nice job Rach!

    Aren't you leaving for a mainland race soon...? If so GO SMASH IT UP! And if you see Justin Young, he lives on your island, please send him to Kona, thanks!

    ReplyDelete