Friday, June 19, 2009

Taste of Chocolate Goes Bad.

At the Four Seasons Wailea Friday morning, Tori Spelling's boobs were brunching, along with her kids, two nannies, and tattoo-guy, who I think was her husband. There is nothing low-pro about Ms. Spelling.

Post-brunch I needed to float around in reduced gravity for a while. I lugged my gut to the pool. Then I kind-of accosted Dax in the hot tub, but he was a nice guy. So there, a celeb photo for y'all.

Katherine and I were walking the beachfront path through Wailea when we saw a fit black man pretending to box up ahead. I made fun of him, because he was alone, on the run path, and fighting a ghost. And because I'm a little mean sometimes. He turned around and walked at us on the path, grinned and said Hi there. He was Eddie Murphy. We were cool, I swear. Until he was 10 feet away. Here's hoping he didn't see me making fun of him.

Tonight was the Taste of Chocolate, a party at the Four Seasons. It was all this incredible chocolate (every part of that sculpture is chocolate!) and chocolate martinis and film makers and movie stars and individual souffles and chocolate fountains.. 




It was all great and glamorous.. and then Katherine and I decided to walk home along the path between the Fairmont and the Four Seasons. It was after 1 am and very dark, but there were two of us, so we were safe, of course. We were looking at the Milky Way and lighting the pathway with Blackberries, when Katherine froze and started screaming. My instinct was to run from whatever was freaking her out, but she wouldn't move, even when I pulled on her. Because it seems that the hairy creature that was standing on both of her feet had her totally immobilized. We couldn't see it, but it was a big ass rat. After what seemed like a minute, she was free of the giant rat and I lost it. I was trying to drag her along by her little gucci bag, but I was laughing so hard at her that I was crying and I couldn't stand up.  She said maybe it was a mongoose. And I said, Yeah, because they're out at night. I laughed harder at her disgust.. and then tripped on a giant rat. Holy crap, it was so big it was on both of my feet at once. It was a solid eight-pounder, easy. It was ridiculously hairy and climbing all over my feet. 

It's hard to run from the rats in heels. But somehow we did it. They were scurrying in and out of the Naupaka bushes along the path and I was chanting Pretend it's kittens, pretend it's kittens, over and over. 

It's not all glamour and photo ops, people.

13 comments:

  1. Pretend its kittens - hahahaha. AWESOME!! And holy chocolate - I need to make follow the Hawaiian girls and make post-race weekends more exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kittens? I wish I could think that fast. :o)

    Keep the celeb spotting stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am laughing my ass off at the "Pretend it's kittens!" HI-larious!

    Glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must live a really boring life because I have no idea who Dax is, Im going to google him after I comment... I learn more from your blog then you imagine...

    Glad you are free of the rats. Enjoy the vacation! So wish I was there with you girls...

    Bree

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! "pretend it's kittens" Nice one, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I am now going to put on some dry underpants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like fun!! that chocolate looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So hilarious! You can pass that glass of chocolate on over this way...

    Your adventures in Maui sound fantastic - I need to find some friends who work film festivals :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic post. I am glad that your blog is not all tri geek stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it bad that the only person I recognize (other than Tori) is Willie Nelson?
    Way to kick some rat ass, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't think Hawaii had rats ... or is it snakes? Snakes would get the rats. Or some cats might get them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ewww! Thank goodness you saw all those beautiful people to offset the scary ugly rat encounter. See how life just balances itself out?

    ReplyDelete