Saturday, May 9, 2009

5k report and cars vs. businessmen

In my next life, I want to be a boy. An elite-running boy. Because it is indeed fun to just run as fast as you can, for as long as possible, but looking at the results, and seeing Todd's average pace of 4:31/mile.. well, I would love to know what it feels like to run that fast. Here's Katherine and I with the overall winner - he told me before the race he was going to break 14:30. He won it in 14:29. Plan, execute, end of story.

It's still Africa hot and humid as hell here, and the race started at 7 am, a little too late for this early bird's liking. I didn't know if I had a sub-19 5k in me these days, as I've been having some trouble with my lungs when running fast. Katherine and I fell in together after the crowd thinned out and I was surprised to hear a first mile split of 5:42. And even more surprised that I still felt great. We ran together until 2.5 miles, but I could tell she had a little more than me, as she kept getting a step ahead, and then I would fight to pull back to even. I have a problem with talking during racing. OK, I am the queen of verbal diarrhea, and I probably should have shut up and run a little more today. With half a mile to go K got a few feet up and I couldn't hang on. We finished second and third overall. I came in at 18:25, holding a pretty steady pace of 5:44/mile. I was not a PR, but still well ahead of what I had hoped to be, and secured a year of free Jamba Juice. And it was really fun this time.

Katherine, super-coach and race director Raul Boca, and me, ready to hit the water for a 2k swim after awards:
I don't know what Brandon was saying on the podium, but apparently it was fascinating!
And Jaco, the PT king, doing what he does after the races:
I got some great news after the race from the lululemon ladies - I was chosen as an ambassador! The first order of business is starting a monthly run to add to the run club. Beth, Rachel, Kirsten and the rest of the Carlsbad shop have a great one going that runs a 6 mi or 3 mi course, and the 6 mi is a fast-paced tempo run with the local fasties. I'm already recruiting and hopefully we'll be meeting starting in June! The lululemon folks will provide refreshments, and the fast folks will provide run tips.. I can't wait. Check out the new lululemon blog here. 

A quick Henry story: The other night, while walking through the parking lot at Ala Moana, I told Henry to get closer to me because there was a car coming behind us. It turned up a row and disappeared, and he glanced back, then said to me: Mom, that's not a car, that's a businessman. I turned around, and sure enough, there was the quintessential tokyo businessman walking behind us, complete with glasses, tie, and pants belted higher than any American. The way he said it, the Duh, Mom tone, cracked me up. A few moments later, I hear singing behind me: Henry got run over by a businessman... 

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on the race...free jamba juice..for a year...how can you not go EVERY day!
    Way to go on the ambassadorship too. Such a fun role. Lulu has me testing their bathing suit (like your bikini top). Love the style.
    Look out for those business men, especially if they honk :)
    tn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know that Japanese business man. Nice job on the free jamba.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't run nearly 5:44, but I promise I'd run a hell of a lot faster than usual for free Jamba Juice. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the kids are thinking "wow, those chicks' legs reach up to his arm pits..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha - Kate O sure said it! :) Way to go RR - I would run fast for free Jamba Juice... just not that fast. ;) Congrats! Now - go enjoy your refreshment(sssss)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't it be crazy to be able to run that fast? I just can't even imagine. Great run in the heat and humidity - both of which would pretty much put me down at this point. I LOVE the crowd you have attracted at the awards presentation. "Kids, get your friends and sit here and look impressed when mommy's name is called. Yes, I'll buy you ice cream."

    ReplyDelete
  7. love love love this all. smokin' fast 5k lady! holy crap. that is fast. OATMEAL TIME!!

    and yay for ambassadorness- very excited for you...fun fun fun.
    lets catch up soon. will you be in honu?
    xo,
    b

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your win and awesome prize!!! And also your lululemon gig!! Can't imagine who would do a better job than you!

    By the way - your friend Katherine - it's awesome how you guys are always so close racing and how you are actually the same height. I think you've found the perfect match! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy abs...how do you get them?? Mine are still mush:( share your secret....awesome fast times for all 3 of you....great Lululemon deal looks like that is the "new" thing next to Splish...cute stuff...Happy Mother's Day Rach!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NICE RUN!

    HAPPY mothers day too! you hot little belly in that foto would never have me thinking you have 3 children!

    Can you start the LULU run here, we need some group runs! LOVE your shorts...

    As for the Honolulu du/tri, doubt I will be there, totally going to miss it, but I just convinced coach into letting me do Honu (a week before REV3) so he pretty much would kick my a$$ if I asked for another race, GO WIN IT!

    Hope all is well...
    Bree

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you're jamba juice supply is set up for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done. Free Jumba Juice - that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dang you chicks are fast. I could keep up with Todd...
    on my bike.
    Ah, Jamba juice. So good.

    Happy belated Mothers Day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah for free Jamba. Nice work. Your shark story last week scared me for my ocean swim in Enci this wknd - but I powered through.

    Thanks for giving our run club a shout out. And the Streamline Top looks great.

    - Lauren (from the lululemon Carlsbad store)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Apparently, I am doing the WRONG races. Jamba juice for a year? Sweeeeet. I'm jealous of that and the fact you can run that fast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's an awesome time and prize! Congrats! I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 4:31/mi? That is so smoking fast! Congratulations on your race and getting a free year of Jamba Juice! Definitely a worthwhile prize!!

    ReplyDelete