Saturday, May 16, 2009

Fried.

I rolled into Jamba at 11 today and nearly passed out. My hands were shaking when I handed over my coupon and I almost added STAT to my Primo Acai order, but refrained because that would probably make someone spit in it. The last 24 hours have been hard, and I hadn't fueled any of it properly. I was having blood sugar issues.

Friday started with a 3k swim chasing the fast gang through 500 m intervals in the morning, followed by work, then 11 miles of Tantalus running with Katherine in the evening. The five miles up are just switchback after switchback, and we took turns pushing the pace. By the flatter sections near the top, it was all out racing. My quads were shot by the time I got home.


The view from the first look out, part way up:

Saturday morning was another hard swim with the Boca group. The ocean was glassy and the turtles were friendly. Trying to hang with Ryan, Dave, Pretty Billy and Wil for interval after interval nearly killed me. When we finished, I looked out at the glassy little bumps and was overcome with a need to surf. As if on cue, Todd Bradley showed up and offered me a stand-up board that would be perfect. I hauled it down to the beach and my friend Billy was just heading out, so I had someone to coach me. I surf, and I stand up paddle, but I had yet to combine the two. It took about an hour before I got my first successful wave on the stand up board.. but man was it worth the wait. After 2 more hours in the ocean, I was done. My legs were shaky on the board, my arms and shoulders ached, and my quads were screaming from the mountain run.

While it looks like I am paddling on a pretty lake, I swear there were some sets rolling through. The tricky part was paddling fast enough to make the drop, and then jumping my feet to my regular stance while hurtling forward.. but once I got it down, it was awesome!

It kind of feels like I've been Ironman training -- only more fun. 10k of swimming, 44 miles of running, and waves this week.. what more could I ask for? A rest day. And pizza. Both are up next.

13 comments:

  1. sounds like ironman training, is it?? lol...
    i want to see pictures of "pretty billy" in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water looks GREAT - and I would totally prefer the 'friendly' turtles to those pesky, unfriendly ones. Yeah - it does sound like IM training...but hey, whatever floats your boat! I see the stand-up paddlers-surfers out here a lot and am always amazed at how they can paddle into a wave, surf the wave, remain upright and NOT loose their paddle. Wow - you're a stud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing you have Jamba Juice for life or the year ;-) That paddle board surfing sounds fun!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sort of like Ironman training...but without the bike. Or is that what makes it more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think paddle board surfing looks fun. Gonna have to try that sometime :) Piiiizzzzzzaaaaa YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can sign me up for the rest and pizza part!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurry and get recovered...
    You have to come do Kukio soon, I won't be here so I need you to take over for the tri-girls :)

    Jamba and stand up paddling, what a great day! HUGS to your entire family and I hope your little skin check up passes with flying colors!

    Oh, and for Honu, I still think we should convince them that a relay would be a good idea for us one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though it was tough training, you make it look easy!! I hope you enjoyed dessert with the pizza, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have 111 followers? Are you a pro or something? What makes you so special?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jamba rocks. I love the look of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The paddle boarding sounds like the most fun out of all that training stuff.
    Jamba and Pizza...the diet of champions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jamba will cure what ails you. Sounds like you needed it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a week!!

    Sign me up for that pizza!!....

    ReplyDelete