Friday, May 22, 2009

MIA

I was not the only white chick at Mos Def thursday night. I was probably the only mother of three pulling a 23 hour day, though. His enthusiasm and joy for what he does was contagious.. for the first 2.5 hours of it. But  2 am is way past my bedtime, and I had to drag my friends out of there before he even stopped. Neither work nor swimming on three hours of sleep and and too many vodka sodas went well the next day. I started this blog post Friday.. it took me this long to finish it. 

My college friends are in town. Matt's here with 14 friends for a bachelor party. Carrie came over from Kauai for the show. Carrie and I haven't been up for all of the evening bachelor party activities (not that into korean hostess bars, it turns out), but we have spent some afternoons at the Sunset Beach rental:

You know you've been at the bachelor party too long when the give you one of the official bachelor party tshirts.. I think it's my new favorite shirt. Trevor's been surfing on this, which he made - no skeg, mother of pearl inlay, ancient-style:


Ramsey took the kids to California for eleven days. I will try not to worry myself to death, but the only thing scarier than putting myself on a giant metal death box is putting my children in a giant metal death box. I would love to say that I'm going to have a great time on my own, that I'm going to sleep well and train lots and enjoy the peace and quiet. But really, I'm going to cry a lot and worry about my babies and be lonely. But I get what I get, I guess. My friends have been keeping me busy.

So tomorrow I'm going to hop on a plane to Kauai for a few days. Matt, Carrie and I are going to swim the Na Pali Coast. Carrie is a massage therapist, and she told me that sometimes if you get your jaw worked on, you don't talk so much. I'm trying not to take it personally.. But first I'm off to swim from Makapuu to Sandys with the Boca people.. I have no idea how many miles that is, because people don't swim it, because it's supposed to be so sharky. I guess I'll find out if that's true in an hour or so!

Last night, leaving dinner at The Pyramids, my sister and I hugged our friends good-bye, then got to eachother. I pretended I was going to hug her and she said "how about just a high five?" Our family doesn't touch. Pretty much ever. This is how we show our love..

6 comments:

  1. Mos Def! How cool. I'd love to go see him. Take care and stay busy. Those 11 days should go pretty quick. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to say "nice bum", but uh... that's not you, is it? hah awwwwwkwaaaard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I tried to high-five my sister I'm pretty sure we would both barf... or maybe a black hole that would swallow the whole solar system would be created? So why risk it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't touch my sister either. EVER. But she lives in paris. I dont' talk to her either. I even defriended her on facebook.

    ahhhh...... family love.

    i hear if you hit a shark in the nose while it is biting you, it will let go. let me know if that works!

    :-) mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky your husband was out of town this week so you could do that swim... my husband advised me not to because apparently he doesn't want a wife with a shark bite! Sounds like it was an epic one though! Hope you enjoyed it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your "peace and quiet" - if you call it that, I am sure although it will be great to finally get some personal time, tough to be away from the kids so long! Great job on the swim!

    ReplyDelete