Wednesday, May 27, 2009

wet paint

I loaded the kids into the elevator a few days ago and there was a woman already in there. She reeked of perfume. I was surprised the elevator didn't burst into flames when the oxygen flowed in. All was quiet.. until:

Sky: It smells like paint in here.
Me: I think it smells like, ummm, pretty flowers. 
Wyatt: No, mom, that's definitely paint.
Me: No, Wyatt, it's not.
Henry (feeling the walls in attempt to find the wet paint): Do you think they just finished painting the inside of this elevator?

Since I couldn't crawl into a hole, I started searching my giant bag for something to cram into their mouths: a lolly, hard candy, a ball of yarn, anything.. but no luck, just uncomfortable silence while my children all felt the walls and floor looking for the wet paint.

I miss my people.


While they're away and I have more free time, I'm swimming every day. A week straight and that was all it took to see progress. Three of the seven swims were over an hour long and hard efforts. And today we did a time trial and I was back where I should be, right next to Katherine. Phew. Just in time for Alcatraz. I haven't been in a pool in two months now... it's all ocean, all the time. 

5.5 days until my kids are home. I'm going to turn into a prune - a salty one - from all the swimming.

15 comments:

  1. Ha. I think it's so cute that your kids all smile the same. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh woman, you're good. That first paragraph was LOL good so I got caught reading a blog at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL on the elevator story! I just found your blog and love it (makes me want to live in Hawaii)! Thanks for the motivation (wish I looked as fit as you) and the funny family stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is THIS what it takes for you to swim? Clearly! :) I agree, I can do a long weekend and be fine w/o the kids but about day #4 I start to crave them - Enjoy the last few days of silence though. That is what I asked for for Mother's Day this year: Silence. It worked...for about 2 hours while I was working out.
    :) Good luck at Alcatraz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, classic as always from your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the paint story! Too cute. Glad your swimming is coming along. Have fun at Alcatraz.
    tn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited for you to get your kids back! Seriously, when Kainoa is at his dads it just kills me, it is soooooooo hard not having the little smiles all the time (i can only imagine missing 3 smiles at a time!!).

    GREAT swimming, still shocked you (the warm water woman) is braving more ice cold Cally water!! HARD CORE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the wet paint story. They moved two more guys into our work area. That makes one American (me), two Germans and One Spaniard. The Spaniard is wearing the same wet paint every day. I am regularly leaving the work area to avoid the head aches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love it when kid's say stuff like that, we have a book where we write down funny things our boys say....those pics of your kids are very cute..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny on the paint smell...kids are crazy:) Good for you on the swimming.....love the photo's

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilarious about the paint :) Thanks for the laughs! Enjoy the Alcatraz swim - you'll do great! With all the OW swims... wow. Only a few more days till the kiddies return! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good GOD woman you are FISH LIKE!!

    I was at Macy*s this past weekend and ran SMACK into the LuckyBrand section. Yaaaaaawooo. I purchased a few items. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Salty and sweet = all good. Why do I keep typing things that sound either slightly offensive or completely creepy? Sorry. I would love to be able to swim that much without worrying about kids or a spouse. Your kids are a fricking riot! And now you are adding coffee to the mix - let the hilarity ensue. (Nice - my word verification is "prickie" is someone trying to tell me something?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wet paint LOL!!!! I would love to be your kids teacher...many comedic moments I'm sure.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete