Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ut-oh.


I cut my hair again. I realize that this is about as newsworthy as the fact that the garbage men came today, again, on a wednesday, imagine that! But what I wanted to show are my newfound frugal ways. Me, need pins for my obnoxious bangs or rubberbands for my shaggy mop? No way. It's office supplies all the way - pink binder clip for the bangs and a pencil for the rest.

I rode my tri bike home tonight. Which wouldn't be weird, except that my office is starting to look like a bike shop, as you can see to the left above. I rode Blue-Barry in, but wanted the ttx for the trainer ride tonight. On the ride home I found myself with the wrong shoes, and the wrong cleats, well, there was a whole lot of wrong going on, including the fact that my dress was tied in a knot at my waist and tucked into my bike shorts, because I had packed wrong. The speedplay cleats actually kind of hooked into the looks well enough that I would forget, push up a little hill and send my legs flying off the pedals, which kind of hurt. The stupid things I do because my husband won't buy/steal me a cute little black VW rabbit like I NEED. (ahem, isn't there a holiday this weekend?)

Up to this point, the training has been about doing what I want to do, when I can fit it in. It's looked like about 25 miles per week of running and 150 or so miles per week of riding, with 2 structured workouts per week with the Boca cycling clinic. Last week was an infinite leap from 0k/week to 6k/week of swimming. I think I just weasled my way into a half-ironman - even though last spring I said I would never, ever do it again because I almost froze to death on the swim. It's in seven weeks. I did Kona on a little under 8 weeks of bike/run training due to injury.. but it didn't go so well. Here's hoping I'm more prepared to cram for this one! Starting this week the training emails will be coming from Raul, who took me back into the Boca family without batting an eye, because Boca really is a family. I'm a lucky girl. And now I've got seven weeks to work my butt off and get in race shape, prior to 6:30 am and after 8 pm, of course.

Last time I didn't look so happy at the finish. And don't be confused by the palm trees, it was one of the coldest experiences of my warm little life. That's not sweat, it's frost.

19 comments:

  1. You keep bikes in your office?? Lucky bikes!!! Are you doing Oceanside? That swim is freezing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So many great people will be here for Oceanside! Hope I can finally meet some of you rockstar ladies! I'll be out there cheering for y'all for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, you don't like your bangs? I think they look super cute. I'm always debating getting some cut, but then I chicken out because they seem like they require a bit of maintenance, and I don't have a whole lot of patience with my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The look on your face is priceless. PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pink clippy...very clever. Congrats on the new goal...we're all along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh.. Oceanside. I almost jumped in myself.. but then I hate being cold while racing so Buffalo Springs Lake and sweating like a mad women it is! You'll be great RR, just do what you usually do, it seems to work!! Love the office supply hair accessories! Man this stupid comment thing needs spell check..or I need to learn how to spell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay, oceanside!! i'll scream just as loud (and warmly from the sidelines) this year as i did last year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah Oceanside!! I will get to meet you...like in real live person!! ;) And I like the binder clip look. I think the office supply I would most like to use is glue to glue back all the little hairs that won't stay up in my ponytail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be there freezing right along with you... you just made me nervous with that whole 7 weeks comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. FREAKIN' AWESOME! I am so happy you have something to train for... 7wks, that's A LOT of time for you, that's nearly an entire season more than you are used to with all the injury/eye/head stuff that usually keeps you on the sidelines.

    my fingers and toes are crossed you make it to the start in ONE healthy piece! YAY!

    I will be on your island for GAR, thanks for the offer of any help, but with your luck and my luck combined I might never make it home alive! Hope to see you though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oceanside scares the crap out of me. I may live in Chicago but I can't handle cold swims. Maybe you guys will luck out with some warmer weather this year.

    And I've had to grow bangs out a few times and each time I say I won't get them again but ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'll be the one in the blue tights crying because you're not running with me :)
    just kidding..SOOO Excited to cheer you on- can't wait to heckle you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are we in the same field??!?! Also. This means we are totally swimming when I come to HI. I already have a splish with which to be your twin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i've never tried paperclips, but pencils work great

    ReplyDelete
  15. The race sounds awesome! Hopefully it will be warmer than last year. The haircut looks great, too, and you are very resourceful with the binder clip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopefully the weather is warmer for your race. It can't really be worse, can it? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ross, I remember Oceanside last year as we spectated you and Sherpa Thomas said "Ross, get your ass of this course, I'm tired of cheering for you!" I guess that's what you get for spectating on a two loop run course. It's good to hear you are back at it again. PS - don't forget your heart rate monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is that a palm tree or something you tucked into the back of the visor...tough to tell. I will cheer you on as soon as I get there... at 2:30pm. Hopefully you will already be done. Because if you are not, you may need more than cheering.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete