Saturday, February 14, 2009

HK Monitor


I realized this morning while riding a few meters off of Ben's wheel in the hairpin turn on the Pali that I really did appear to be stalking Ben Collins. Oops. The H group of the boca clinic climbed all the hills we could find, including this pretty one near Kaui's house where Wil and I debated bailing out and knocking at her door and begging for pancakes or something. 

I have replaced the heart rate monitor that made me feel like a failure for my inability to get it up on about 60% of last year's rides. Today my hellokitty rate was right where it should be. And my watch was the sparkliest one.

If there were a polka dot jersey for the day, Troy would likely have taken it. Instead, he wins the hairdo of the day award. He swears this just happens, but I think he has a crochet hook at home and he spends hours getting ready for group rides.

The rest of the long weekend involves baseball, baseball, a run, and more baseball. We're in a three day tournament. Which mostly means three days of potlucks at which I will eat too much junk food. Wyatt has been to too many triathlons - each time he scored a run, he threw his arms in the air like he's just won Kona. It was awesome.

I hit the Great Aloha Run expo this evening and found myself cringing at this. After Strongman in Japan in 2007, I did nothing but eat chocolate for two weeks in celebration. Then Jaco wanted to do a photo shoot. What's better than muffin top? Muffin top in larger than actual size. Like twice as large.

Monday morning I'll run the GAR before work. 8.2 miles from Aloha Tower to Aloha Stadium. I think it's Bree's year! My ankle held up ok for my little test run, here's hoping I will get a little race-day magic to numb it.

14 comments:

  1. Dukes swim tomorrow at 11:00 if you can take a break from the baseball and junk food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at GAR! I will be sleeping in. The wind has prevented my from swimming out to the Hemisphere Dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That poster is awesome (and you look GREAT Rachel - what are you talking about?! :) Good luck on Monday morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see a muffin top. Think you need some glasses! :) Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got to the hotel where I am catching up on blogs (my favorite sit on my bum hobby) and I saw that poster at GAR expo! I was about to ask for a foto of me with it and claim it as me, it looks AWESOME! Glad the ankle is good! I hope you have an incredible run, see you in the morning!

    PS: I love your island, it has WAY more things to distract me but I have NO IDEA how you ride bike here, the cars freak me out just walking down the street!

    ReplyDelete
  6. muffin top....whatever. i love the ride pics, it makes me bitterly jeaulous since i have just recently discovered that 32 degrees is my lower temperature limit for riding outside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was just a thing on the radio about things gorgeous women say that make you want to hit them, examples being "Sometimes I just forget to eat" and "I never work out". I should have called in and reported you for complaining about having a muffin top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God, I remember how much I hated HK baseball and all those stupid potlucks to rehash a game played by 8 year olds! Lucky I didn't off myself (Tony talk).
    The Jaco poster looks great. Do you get a copy? It would make nice wall paper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Troy might have a crochet hook. He does have a sewing machine after all, and knows how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luch at GAR. Looking great on that poster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool poster! What a rock star. Good luck at GAR.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have made you pancakes! I want one of those posters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ride pics. I love that hair do.
    Cool poster. How do you smile while running?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard "muffin top" before. Very funny! You are not a good example, however. I love HK time. I've given-up on HR monitors. I hate 'em. I may get a HK watch, too.

    ReplyDelete