Sunday, February 8, 2009

blonder by the minute..

Saturday morning I rolled my ankle doing strides in the grass. Curse you, skinny ankles. It's an annual event for my left ankle, occurring whenever I venture off the pavement. I hit a hole at the end of a stride and felt the outside of my ankle bone hit the grass. The stupidity left me with some time to kill, so I packed it in and went and begged Pro-Bowlers to sign my body parts. OK, not really, but I've always thought that was the epitome of dumb things to do. I swam 2k instead and called it icing. It's cold in our ocean right now.

I iced and taped it up and off we went to Punahou Carnival. High school, but without the booze in a Big Gulp cup! The view from the top of the ferris wheel:

We shared a deep-fried twinkie five ways, and it oozed all over my hand. It was good.. but the funnel cake was better.


The Ross boys enjoy their cotton candy. I did not request that any of them pose with cotton candy on their faces.. yet this is what I got. Henry:
Ramsey:
And Wyatt. It's in his hair:
Sunday I was swollen, but I could walk, and more importantly, once taped up, I could pedal. The boca ride was mellow today, as the fasties were racing the crit out at Kaneohe Marine Corps Base. It was on a runway. Ryan charmed the guards into letting us on base without ID, so we rode all around the gorgeous base, and stopped a while to watch the crit. The officer's houses out there almost make me want to enlist. I was asked by many if I was jumping in to the crit.. ha! Me + bike race = concussion. It's not the bike handling skills of my peers I'm concerned with, it's my own. You can see the runways on the right. Not a bad place to be a marine.

13 comments:

  1. Deep fried Twinkie? Ugh.

    They keep saying those crits are safe, but I don't buy it. I'm gonna stay away from those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the ankle is ok today and you are ready to run again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramsey sure loves his cal shirt. Oh, and you don't enlist to become an officer - you get commissioned. Either way, you'd be hands down the hottest Marine EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the Scottish were mad with their deep fried Mars bars, but deep fried Twinkie. Holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, funnel cakes.

    Hope your ankle heals up quick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the ankle feels better soon Rachel! I get a little queasey thinking about turning an ankle... Funnel cake - yum!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! And sounds like an awesome weekend despite the ankle - hope it heals up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer about the ankle...that sounds like a big time ouch.

    LOVE the cotton candy shots...your boys are just so damn adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My cousin is a jet pilot on Oahu. Not sure where he flies out of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only you would eat deep fried twinkies? Oh ick! Sorry about your ankle, grace. Get better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. first- crap about the ankle. how long will it take to heal? i have weak ankles too...ugh.

    sweet cotton mouth ramsey has. ouch. bad joke

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always thought the deep fried twinkie was a joke. I didn't know they actually existed.

    Hope the ankle heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete