Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Speed goggles.

This morning I had downtown breakfast with my friend Todd. Todd is fast. Like 5 kilometers in the 14 minute range fast. While I'm learning all kinds of cool running stuff from Todd, like how real runners run, and how to maintain 75 mile weeks that I would love to be able to run someday, today I learned a whole new phenomenon.  Todd was telling me about dating. Since he's a decade younger than me, I feel I can pry in a motherly way. He introduced me to the idea of speed goggles. They're like beer goggles, but apparently can be developed without alcohol and out of respect for one's running talent. Who knew?

There was an almost audible click in the pool tonight. Masters was a serious at Oahu Club. During the main ladder set of 1200, I started swimming again. It was probably my tenth swim of the year. I actually went around 6'7" gorilla-arm Brad during one of the fast 150s. And now we'll know if Brad reads the blog, because if he does, he'll never let that kind of talk fly. I'm swimming again at 5:30 am, ten hours after getting out of the water.. time to get moving again.

16 comments:

  1. Is Todd equally hot to match his fastness? I'm still in my 20's. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit to falling victim to speed goggles a couple times. I think the phenomenon applies to swimming and biking talent too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't want to overdo it with your swimming :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those people with long arms have it easy. Good job passing gorilla arm Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speed goggles - I thought this was going to be a post on some goggles that helped you glide through the water. I got all excited, any help I can get in the pool...

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the best feelings is when the swimming starts to click. Speed googles is too true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speed Googles in practice? I dated my coach for a hot sec last year. 'Nuff said


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swim woman swim, get the swim ready for Lavaman, it is a gnarly on where you end up swimming over and under all sorts of people! (Let Lindsay explain... you will have plenty of "Brads" to go around...)

    Good for you back in the chlorine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the term "speed goggles". Only athletes think like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is chlorine addictive? Just curious ;) Nice job !! Keep up the great work - hee hee hee about speed goggles. Thanks for making me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must be the pain meds I'm on but I don't get the speed goggle thing?

    Good job on the swim! I love when things click.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Speed Goggles... thats great! hhaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah rach! but i was reading this thinking...hmmm..10 times this year...thats 1+ times perweek- not so bad if you ask me...

    glad things clicked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So since you're hot And fast, you must drive the boys bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Speed goggles = you find a chick really hot because she's fast even though she's not really that hot. Classic runner talk. Chris had speed goggles on when he met me. Too bad the poor guy can't get them off.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhh... I like what Ramsey said... sweet.

    ReplyDelete