Monday, December 15, 2008

Laughter is a requirement.

I am raising The Material Girl. Sky's Thanksgiving project came home. Most kids are thankful for shelter, family, food..

Sky, however, is thankful for her high heels. Is 5 too young for a Neiman's card?

I was instructed to start a migraine notebook to keep track of good days/bad days etc.. and I found this one in my desk. I bought it at the Osaka Int'l airport on my way home from Strongman. I get the distinct feeling it wasn't proofread by a native speaker.


Imagine my surprise in finding this little addict here at 3:30 am, in front of the Wii. He's been setting an alarm. It's hard to fault him.. I get up at 4 to run pretty often. Wyatt has a little gaming problem. This is Wyatt after his shower tonight, when he thought he was the only person upstairs, sneaking in some naked playstation-time.

I may be sick, but I'm still laughing. I mean, people are throwing shoes at our president, you know I had to laugh at that. My personal approval rating went up, I must admit, after watching the video. I was impressed by his lightening-fast reflexes.

I had a little reprieve today. It wasn't gone: I thought for sure there was an earthquake at lunch, but it was only in my mind. But the pain gave me a day off. I needed that! The marathon motivated me. 25,000+ people running down the middle of the street in the rain, setting PRs, floating along the pavement, focused, suffering, walking, blowing up.. I want to run another one. I want to go back to Boston. One of my friends took 6+ minutes off of his PR for a 2:57. He asked before the race if I wanted to trudge 4h with him. So much for that plan. But sub-3? I want to do THAT. I need to improve by 4 minutes and 57 seconds. So as soon as I find my health, I'll be finding a marathon.

19 comments:

  1. At least you can throw a shoe at George and he will just laugh it off. Imagine before throwing one at Sad**m or one of his sons. You would probably still be in the torture chamber today (if still alive).
    Our boys it seemed stopped playing Game Boy or Mario or whatever certainly by the age of 15 and never really played that much. Anything in moderation is OK, but at least I hope your son will know when enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just throw a shoe at him when enough is enough! Love that Sky! And I love your sub three hour dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wyatt is a genius.
    he'll be rich one day. way to think outside the box and get creative, Wyatt!


    let the sub three search begin! if you decided to wait to the fall, count me in! or summer, but there seem to be no summer marathons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have some of that sunny disposition? Thank god for our kids, otherwise what would we do for entertainment and laughs?! Wyatt will be a force to be reckoned with later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids crack me up! Very clever, that bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the look on Wyatt's face...so busted and so doesn't care. These are the sacrifices one makes for love. :-)

    Can't wait for the next marathon update. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness for our kids is RIGHT! LOVE the high heeled picture - classic. Morgan is just like that for us. For Thanksgiving she told her teacher she was thankful for GLITTER. Lovely. Yep. Anyway, glad you had 1 day of reprieve. man o man....SORRY the marathon did not work out, btw....next time you will nail sub 3, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the best part about sky's picture is that it was probably hanging up on display school until now! smart girl - she knows what's important!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm laughing at Sky's thankfulness! Glad you have fun kids to make you laugh while your head gives you trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kids are hilarious! That is great to see that you are writing blog updates regularly, gives us all something interesting to read!

    Your sub-3hr goal sounds like a good one for 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAH! I had the exact same reaction to the shoe throwing. Bush is an agile sonofa...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the stories about your kids! I hope your migraine goes away soon. I used to keep a migraine diary. It helped a lot when I was trying to reduce/prevent them. Now that the # is going up, I may have to start again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there. I have been following your blog for the past several weeks and I feel very badly about your recent health issues. I hope you get them resolved.

    I am also a kindergarten teacher and feel compelled to tell you that Sky has written a beautifully perfect sentence, one that other five year olds would lust after!

    Hang in there, things will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kids are just hysterical and adorable. And glad you are laughing. I watched that GW video over and over. It never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your kids are amazing, hands down! And so are you!! Sorry to hear that you had a tough day, but good for you for taking it easy! You WILL get that sub 3 hour marathon, I have total confidence in that. As for the lightning fast reflexes of a certain individual? He's had tons of practice avoiding military duty, so there you have it. Oops - I am SO not a political person when it comes to this, but once in a while I'll let one rip. Yeah, I heart Obama - another reason to feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG you have such awesome kids, Rachel! Thankful for HIGH HEELS!! ahahahahahahahaa!!!

    That is awesome. And I love the look on Wyatt's face. "yes, I am doing this. And I'm having fun with it!"

    I loved my Nintendo when I was a kid. I can only imagine how much cooler a Wii must be.

    Anyway, you'll get that marathon, I'm sure of it. BTW i still need to go hunting for magnesium but I am so so grateful you told me about it. Can't wait to see what it does...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rach,

    Laughing out loud in the office. Schuler is wondering what's wrong with me. Thanks for sharing.

    A huge holiday hug to you and hoping the "thing" moves on. Those kids crack me up. Especially liked the "I've got my eye on you" from a few back.

    DJB

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah yes. Tabor (my 10 yr old) was waking up in the middle of the night and watching dvd's on the portable player that he snuck into his bed. His little brother ratted him out.

    But setting an alarm takes it to a whole new level. Props.

    P.

    ReplyDelete