Sunday, December 14, 2008

In the battle of mind vs. body, body wins.

Actually, in the past six weeks, I would say it's body: 143, brain: 0.

I woke up only slightly dizzy and with pretty clear vision and decided it was time to tell my body how I felt about it's behavior of late: F You, body. I headed to the marathon start. Because seriously: Enough. On Saturday morning I felt good for two hours. Normal. The first two hours in six weeks. It was brief, I walked into a starbucks bathroom, flipped on the fluorescent light and fell down from the vertigo as another wave started. But they were a beautiful two hours!

So I got up, suited up in my lululemon tester outfit, and bummed a ride to the start with Derek, avoiding evil fluorescent light at all costs. I love the start of the marathon. There are 25,000 people lined up, and fireworks are set off with the cannon. I love rainy day runs.. and we're in day 3 of flash flood warnings, so there was plenty of rain. I ran the first few miles at 7:00 pace just to see if perhaps it would be a good day. Then the vertigo started hitting. Every 5 minutes or so, I would get hit hard and have to crouch down and steady myself until it passed. I had a bailout plan - Rams and the kids were waiting in our neighborhood, at mile 15.5. So I slowed down and ran a steady pace to the 13.1 point (1:35) and decided I had two options: Run 3:12 at Honolulu for the third time, because I always run 3:12 at Honolulu, or stop at 15.5, eat and cheer on friends. The vertigo and lack of hearing on one side that hit when I stopped was all the reassurance I needed that I had made the right call.. I really don't need to mess with my health any further for yet another 3:12. But I'm glad I went out and did the fun half of the marathon.

And so, the body wins. Again.

There were so many kind comments - thank you all. I'm OK today, though the computer screen is still difficult to look at. I'm looking out the window as I type. I will figure this out, somehow, someday. Until then I'm going to say no to everything I possibly can say no to, and continue to get second, third opinions from neurologists. I'm managing things the best I can, and so long as I can work and enjoy my kidlets, life goes on. Here we are post-half-mary, at the waterfall behind our house. It's usually a dry gully. Notice there was no F- on my bib.. phew, way less pressure. I hear I was in about 10th place when I bailed out. How appropriate!


25 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear your struggles continue. But I do admire your resolve - you are right, you will eventually figure it out. As with most medical issues, it will be challenging and frustrating but eventually solved! Thinking of you QUITE impressed that you can still run 1:35 with vertigo and all... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look FANTASTIC! And at the end of the day that's all that matters, right? haha :)
    I'm gonna go run in the snow and cold (-1, according to my computer right now) in the name of RR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a rock star for taking this all in stride. And being in 10th half way through with stops for vertigo is pretty f-ing impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel:
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get better really soon, but glad to hear that you are doing well wnough for work and kids. Good luck with more doctors. Please tell Sky that she looks super-adorable in the photo.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. A half marathon is a step in the right direction! You'll get there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so sorry to see that you are still having these episodes. Your body is definitely trying to tell you that something is not right. Hopefully though, those two good hours are a good sign that things are improving. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following your blog and your recent issues. Keep your head up. Running a 1:35 half is a great success in itself. I know it's not what you wanted to do, but don't lose sight of the small successes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing, Rachel. I had a migraine aura today and could not imagine living like that for weeks. I really hope that things turn around for you soon.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you're feeling a little bit better. stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want those shorts. Well, not the ones you sweat in for 15.5miles but shorts like that...I told the ELF my goal for my marathon was to look good in short shorts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are beautiful Rach (just in case you are blind when you look in the mirror from your vision troubles)...

    I hope the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great attitude Rachel. You are going to figure this out and nail it and in the meantime keep living life. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope all this stuff gets better soon! You ran awesome despite it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to see you can still smile, especially with what life is throwing your way right now. Hug those kidlets close. I'm still rooting that you'll win this battle eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well at least you've tried. I, on the other hand didn't even think about getting out of bed that early this morning. Have been plagued with viruses lately and was too much of a chicken to even try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. RR - You are a smart athlete. I hope you get your situation figured out.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you were able to do at least half of the race. Hope you get some more "good experiences" soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look how proud your kids are of you in your pic....that's what really matters!
    Hoping still this goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just can't believe how long this has been plaguing you. Like you said, I guess its time to focus on the things you CAN do, and make the most of those. Simplifying things can be a very powerful cure.

    PS-its still amazes me that you can whip out fast runs without any training, and look so cute in the process. Love the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to go for it and even better for having the strength to stop. You look so happy with your kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing. You are so amazing.

    You have more strength in your little pinky than I have in my whole body.

    And you're cute as a button and have fabulous style.

    Really hope you are back to 20/20 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry, this sucks Rach that you are still having these problems with your vision. So sorry, I hope they figure out what's wrong and get you better very soon. Love the top, it's like mine from my old profile pic, remember ;-)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  23. well poos. the 2:50 will have to wait until next year. because i'm quite sure you'll be better and kicking arse by then.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Catching up on actually reading blogs..too much time on Facebook :) Sorry to hear about the vertigo. But it sounds like your knee is healed :) maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry, I know my response time is a little slow these days....I didn't realize you actually ran that far in a marathon, I thought you just meant you went for a run. And your "mellow" half pace is what I run a half in when I have perfect vision and am really trying. Nice reality check. You are WAY tougher than me, I would have never even started that marathon with the symptoms you've been having...and now that I mention it, I can't see myself starting a marathon anytime in the near future.

    You still manage to entertain even though my head hurts whenever I read about yours.

    You're on my mind lady-
    P.

    ReplyDelete