Monday, December 22, 2008

The Joker Made Me Do It.

I drove in to work yesterday. Because everyone on Earth (ok, in my house) has a three-week Christmas Vacation and has nowhere to be, I was able to take the car. It was the first time I've driven to work in the two months I've been at TEC. It was oddly luxurious. I was at work 45 minutes after waking up. And I wasn't dripping in sweat. It wasn't the plan, but my brother brought home The Dark Night. And it was really, really good. I thought it was 10 when it ended, but it was closer to midnight. And I can't do less than 5 hours of sleep. So Heath Ledger made me do it, it's all his fault. Hey, if they're going to give him a posthumous Oscar, I can give him a little posthumous consumer-guilt.

Today is my Friday. When I was groundwater sampling six days a week, I built up some comp time, so I'm taking the next two Fridays off. We'll head to Kaui's tonight to celebrate (read her blog and she won't make fun of you on it) the beginning of five days off. During which I will pretend that I am like the 6 jobless vagrants living at our house right now. Except I will shower more often than Henry does.

The newspaper's minute by minute updates of Barack's activities (5:06 pm, flushing was heard) make my stalking look like mere coincidence. I have nothing new to report. Except that he's working out at Semper Fit on the Kaneohe Marine Corps Base at 7 each morning and Amy is out of town so I don't have a way to get on base. I'm racking my brain for other marine friends, but I'm not having much luck. I want to run on the tready next to Barry.

He's been golfing. My dad built a few of the golf courses on the windward side, but Barack hasn't braved the ball-eating Koolau Course yet. He's got the ball headed straight, but that swing is not pretty. *Please note: that is likely the only not-nice thing you will ever hear me say about the man.



I've been on
Maggs' borrowed road bike for about a month now, and I'm finally getting the hang of this road bike thang. Today there was something in my legs.. I felt like a girl who knew how to ride a bike again, for the first time since the whole Kona debacle. It probably helps that my exercise for the past two days consisted of running back and forth along a cliff at Makapuu for Joss for two hours - not exactly intense, but I set a new bike commute world record by two minutes. And now that I'm here.. I should get off of blogger. Happy Holidays!

6 comments:

  1. Hope you and you family have a wonderful holiday and get some more Barack sightings! :) Enjoy having a car to drive to work for a few days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in DC during grad school, pre-campaign, and happened to live in the same building as Obama. My roommates and I treadmill stalked him, and I even mustered a 'hi' a few times.

    He runs fast. And watches the news when he runs :) Boooring, made me feel bad about watching my MTV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, check these out-shirtless Obama photos-Merry Christmas!
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/obama-shirtless?w=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Obama update! Glad to hear you're getting some time off to hang with your peeps. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. **waving my military ID card**.....i'll get you on base ...but it'll cost you. One roundtrip ticket for me from San Diego to Hawaii....what do you think!???

    =0

    Happy Holidays!!
    PS: And if I do get you on base and you find Obama, i'm going to require invites to all the parties too, so just keep that in mind =0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, Rachel! Enjoy your time off with the fam!

    ReplyDelete