Sunday, April 27, 2008

Recovery Weekend Challenge

I've never recovered like this before. Last year I took a few days off after Kona.. but this time I'm under strict orders to consider Paul my AA sponsor and call if I get the urge to run.  So this weekend, Lazyass Weekend Number Two,  has been one of new challenges, including:

- Staying home with the kidlets while husband runs. Which included watching the latest Barbie movie, Mariposa Barbie. I now feel entirely inadequate. My neck is six inches too short, my legs are not long enough.. and don't get me started about my chest.

- Trying to hide psyllium fiber in the kids' pancakes. All pancakes were returned for "tasting stinky." The OJ was also returned, stinky by association, making me a Sunday breakfast failure. 

- Making own coffee, instead of stopping at Starbucks for a soy latte on the way to group ride/run. Then trying to believe that the homemade coffee was as good even though it tasted like dirt.

- Keeping up with the little league moms at the post-game potluck, because what did I have to do the next morning? DNF'd when they cracked the fourth Coors Light.

Pictures of the aforementioned Barbie-warped kidlets - as they have not yet graced the blog.

<---- Henry showing off some... umm.. moves?





















Sky at her Mayday show: 



























Wyatt, the lovebug, 
gearing up for the cub scouts parade.

11 comments:

  1. Your "kidlets" are soooooo cute! And I'm sure they are enjoying more time with you...stinky pancakes and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always go shopping. That's what I did to keep myself from running. It was inside out of the VOG at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed - home coffee tastes like a**. I'm convinced it's the paper cup. I just like the way the coffee in the cup tastes. Heck let me eat the cup. And the lid. And throw a cardboard sleeve on that mo fo. I'm eating them all.
    e.l.f.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just add creamer to your coffee and it'll mask some of the dirt-like taste. I'm a sucker for the Chai Tea with Vanilla Soymilk. YUM!

    Stinky pancakes - I LOVE IT!

    Head down with the recovery - hang in there. Your body will thank you for the rest of your season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, Starbucks. In an effort to save money we tried to give up Starbucks...and my hubby and I both ended up sneaking it instead!

    Oh, and don't get me started about how non-Barbie body I am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rachel, hang in there! I've been having calf issues for quite some time and know how hard it is to take time off from training. I've got something that might make you smile. Go to my blog and look at the cartoon from April 24th...it's perfect for triathletes. http://columbiamotriathlon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading your blog, you make me laugh! Hope your rest time treats you well. Looking forward to spending time with you all this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful children, beautiful! And no way does coffee at home taste like coffee from Starbucks! NO WAY!

    :-) Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. once I made pancakes for the kids with wholewheat flour, got much the same reaction.. Bad Dad. I have successfully smuggled wholewheat pasta into their diets though. Hee.

    Psyllium is nasty though, makes me gag a bit even though I'm doing it of my own free will.

    Home-made coffee is better than Starbucks.. get some fair-trade shade-grown organic, grind it at home, use a French press.. but I've never attempted a soy latte so I may be missing something..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow-such gorgeous kids!! I also love the family IM Kona photo you posted.

    Trying to keep up with little leage parents...that's a whole new sport!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel,

    We've never met, but I've heard a lot about you from my husband, Roger, who met you through Timex. In the spirit of breaking blog stalking habits, I decided to just go for it and comment. :)

    Your family is beautiful! I really enjoyed reading your blog - you are a hilarious writer. I'm getting in trouble from my students (I'm a fourth grade teacher) for laughing out loud during their silent reading time. I can SO relate to the perils of Starbucks withdrawal and Barbie Mariposa overdoses. I was hospitalized last year after High School Musical 2 came out.

    Thinking of you for quick recovery for your injury. Sounds brutal. Being out of the swing of things is tough physically but even tougher mentally... hang in there.

    Nice to 'meet' you! If you stop by my blog again, no blog stalking aloud LOL!:)
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete