Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Tinkering.

I have been playing with Clementine. I am not allowed to ride, but I can tinker! I am convinced that the IT band that has rendered me useless is angry about my bike position. ELF suggests I rub beer on it for a while then try to sweet talk it into spinning.. that might be the next step. Since Arizona, I have been on the bike once, for about 23 seconds, until realizing it was physically impossible to spin a full pedal rotation. I just wanted a smidgen of data for the new power tap, but it was not meant to be.  So with too much time and energy on my hands, my excellent bike maintenance skills and I just stripped the screw on the seat post, so hopefully that's the right seat height. Forever. 

I am facing at least a month of recovery time. I wore my running shoes to work today because I missed them. This fashion faux pas is a clear indicator of the mental instability 10 days of recovery bring. But really, I was already wearing a mini skirt made for someone 15 years younger than me, so what did I have to lose? I did not, for the record, wear compression socks to complete the fashion crisis. Henry pretended not to know me when I showed up at school to pick him up. By the third week of recovery I might be picking him up in my aero helmet.

Because hawaii training photos have already been requested, and I have no actual training to talk about, here's a very staged one, taken by the awesome Joss, whose photos you see in Title Nine and Patagonia.. that's January on the West Side... 

9 comments:

  1. Hey Rach,
    what the hell is tinkering? (sorry- stupid german asking...).
    I can´t imagine any skirts that are made for 15 year old younger girls that would not look good on you! :-)... waiting for the new look to come up on the next triathlon magazine... RR in runners right foot, cycling shoe left foot, comp. socks, swimmers, goggles, aero helmet, paddles left hand, cycling glove right hand... and your... what are they told? pig tails? so that everyone knows you on the foto! No, I´m sorry, really hope you get back into training soon!!!!!!!!! ciao, Silv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rachel - so sorry to hear about your forced down time. Believe me - I COMPLETELY understand.

    I was so happy to wear my running shoes to PT. And - while I'm not proud of it - I have tried on a few different aero helmets. Mine and a good friends.... just to see how it felt. Oh yeah - and I may have gone down into the "aero position" - but just not on a bike yet. But I wanted to see how the tail of the helmet went down my back.

    Pretty kick ass if you ask me!

    And let's face it: mini skirt + running shoes + compression socks = one hot mamma! :) Good luck, I'll keep you in my thoughs and send healing vibes your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a bit intimidating (does it have spell check) since others can read it. Just trying to figure it out which does not come naturally to anyone over 30.
    Enjoyed your writings - funny as usual and so were the responses.
    Let me know if you get this.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel! Belated congrats on an amazing race in Arizona!! Sounds like it was quite a tough day with the heat and wind...but you perservered nonetheless!! Hope that IT band starts feeling better soon!!!

    By the way, I love the picture to the right - you have such a beautiful family!

    Beth Shutt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not too anonymous when it says Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. RR- Its great that you've joined the blog world! I enjoyed following your race at IMAZ. I saw you when you first jumped on Clementine and I told my friends
    "There's the Top Amateur for the day-She's Awesome, and don't be surprised if she smokes half the Pro field either"...Congrats for accomplishing both, and its amazing to consider what you could have done on a 'good day'!

    I'm sorry to hear about the injury. Patience will be tested, but at least you have time to heal before you kick more booty in KONA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had fun reading your blog! You have had a huge impact on the age group world at Ironman. What in the world are you gonna do with all of your free time during the next recovery month? Some ideas... your eldest boy may want homeade waffles instead of frozen? You can start basketweaving. Or, perhaps try to run the bases with the kids while they are practicing baseball but just make sure you wear your aero helmet for protetction in case any fly balls go zinging by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI! Just came across your blog from Marit's list. I love your posts. You are so funny! Thanks for cheering for me at Oceanside while I was shufflin' ;-) I can't wait to officially meet you one of these days in person. Hopefully we can do one of the crazy camps together. The Oz one was cool. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

    E

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job at Arizona. That pic is just beautiful! Hope you have a speedy recovery. My injury advice...when you feel 100%, rest 2 more days. then you'll be good to go for an excellent season!

    ReplyDelete